Antiglare vs. Glossy. The actual truth about the differences

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by underblu, Apr 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. underblu, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2011

underblu macrumors regular

Here are the facts:

The glossy and ag displays are basically the same. Same resolution, brightness, contrast, vibrancy etc.

Apple puts a glass covering on the glossy display part for aesthetics and also for the effect tge glass gives in which it appears to enhance overall vibrancy. However, this affect comes with a huge price in the way of distracting reflections which makes the glossy more difficult to use in many types of lighting situations.

Almost all the graphic artists i know whose livelihood depends on color accuracy use AG screens which tells me something about which display is more accurate.

The only time the AG ever looks washed out is in direct sunlight at which point the Glossy could only be used for styling your hair.

At the end of the day the best thing to do is to try both out at your apple retailer.

My personal preference is the AG because
    I can't stand the distracting reflections of the glossy display
    I don't particularly care for the hyped colors as I find it reduces accuracy.
    I like the fact that the AG screen weighs less

Those are my personal prefermces based on owning both. YMMV so definitely check it out first hand for yourself

2. adrian1480 macrumors 6502

great. now we have 2 threads on the same subject. I'll just post the same comments here, then.

I'll simply say that there's a reason photography professionals choose anti-glare: it's the color accuracy, stupid. Glossy is slighly more vibrant because they cranked up the color contrast. The result is a slightly more vibrant display, but one with crushed blacks and whites. If you know what crushed colors are then you understand why matte consequently becomes the best (read: only) choice for professionals who need color accuracy in their work...or regular old people who want color accuracy.

Nothing wrong with the glossy MBP screen if you're not doing anything professional. It "pops" more. But it's not a screen you want to do any real video, graphics or print work on. It's color vibrance is not natural.

If you don't get it, go to an Apple store and do an A/B comparison on a glossy and matte screen with a set of 100 photos. pay close attention to what happens to the glossy screen in dark areas. Say...dark hair in front of a slightly darker backdrop. The hair will *disappear* on the glossy. The hair will still be visibly separate on the matte. It's the very definition of "black crush".

In addition, AG has the advantage of not being reflective. Not a small benefit.

3. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

4. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

ok ok... weel see which thread gets bigger lol...

this is war!!

5. hashholly macrumors 6502

6. Blipp macrumors 6502

Are you just going from thread to thread to make this point? Of course an IPS panel is better but an IPS panel isn't involved in this discussion. AG displays can be "more accurate" without being "most accurate". Neither should be used for final grading but the AG will take you further.

7. CHSeifert macrumors 6502

CHSeifert

I ordered the high res glossy, because none of my serious web design work will ever be finalized on a TN panel anyway - no matter if it's glossy or matte ;)

8. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

I love the term TN Panel, it makes us all seem so amateur lol

9. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

10. underblu thread starter macrumors regular

No the first thread the OP is ranting against AG monitors while I'm tying to present a more balanced assement albeit a subjective one.

11. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

I think you misunderstood that one. Its actually trying to find a balanced neutral assessment against people being bias towards glossy.

12. underblu thread starter macrumors regular

Bobby with all due respect your about as balanced as a seesaw with one rider.

13. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Go back to your biased thread. You don't even understand the meaning of the word that you are throwing around so accusatory. Bias: prejudice in favor of or against one thing, person, or group compared with another, usually in a way considered to be unfair :

Your statement just says that people are bias towards glossy, is that for or against? I know your stance already, but your statements don't reflect you know what you are talking about. as bias towards something means people are for a certain something, negative bias towards something means they are against that something. You could also say bias against something, meaning people are against it, or just say they are biased towards the opposite thing.

Get your arguments correct, as in the other thread you stated that biases are always negative, and that is false. People will possibly take your statements with a little more reverence if you present correct information and not just spout off your opinions as fact.

14. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Man I Swear y'all die-hard AG-ers be janky...

15. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

Good analysis; my personal preference is glossy.

16. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

I will take the high road and not make derogatory comments aimed at you or your intelligence. I have never stated one is better than the other, but anyone who comments on your faulty logic is automatically stereo-typed by you. You didn't even have a logical rebuttal. Show where i said anything against or for either screen type in my post that would show I was for a certain type that would merit your comment.

17. polbit macrumors 6502

polbit

I vote for banning any AG vs glossy discussions for two weeks. That will give everyone time to argue about heat and fan noise.

Polbit

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.