Antisocial & SelfControl type apps not working

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sterny77, May 23, 2013.

1. sterny77 macrumors newbie

I used to use Antisocial, until I noticed today that it wasn't working when I habitually tried to go onto Facebook. I then tried to download other software to do the same job, including SelfControl, and that isn't working either. I don't know what to do or how to fix it.

I'm on a new user now and it's not working on this one either.

Also, I tried using the parental controls in system preferences but they also didn't work. Something must be wrong, does anyone have any idea?

Thanks heaps in advance!

2. benwiggy macrumors 68020

Please provide MUCH more information. What do you do; what happens when you do it; and what doesn't happen that you expected to happen? What Mac, what version of OS X?

Why did you move to a new user account?

Have you followed the instructions from the developers of these programs, and contacted them for help?

I'm guessing these programs restrict you from visiting certain websites? Do they block them all the time, or just within certain limited time periods?

Are you trying to stop yourself, or someone else, from going to FaceBook?

I'm smirking at the idea of downloading self-control. Some problems don't have technological solutions! ;)

All the best

3. sterny77 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm just starting up the programs and trying to block a few websites, facebook.com and youtube.com for example.

When I start the programs up and they say they've started, meaning the sites should be blocked, they're not, I can still access them when I type them into my browser and attempt to use them.

I'm using a new Macbook Pro w/ Retina display (2012), using OSX 10.8.1.

It doesn't work on either account, I made an account to use the OSX Parental controls (I couldn't use my main one as it was the admin account) and I tried the programs on that account as well, to no avail.

I've followed the instructions to the letter, but not contacted the developers, that'd be the next step - the thing is, I'm not sure they could help because it seems to be something that has happened to my computer rather than something that has happened with the program, given that multiple programs of the same type don't work.

Yes, they restrict you from visiting websites you put in, and I put them in correctly. These programs used to work for me. It's just blocked within a certain limited time period (for example, Antisocial works for a maximum of 8 hours, while SelfControl goes for a maximum of 24 hours).

I'm trying to stop myself from using Facebook and Youtube and a few other football (soccer) websites, yes. My brain just takes me there without realising it when I get bored when trying to study.

"Some problems don't have technological solutions!"

Well sadly this one has to, in that it's a habit that I can't break on my own, and I have to do all my study on my computer, which puts the temptation there.

Anyway, thanks in advance, I tried to answer everything as best I could!

4. Eric Lee macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm not quite familiar with the programs you named, but usually programs of that sort do one of two things to block websites:
    1) change your DNS server to a restricted one.
    2) edit your hostsfile to block access.

I usually see editing of hostsfiles. If the programs do not work on your Mac there could be a problem accessing your hostsfile or the programs don't have proper permission to edit the hostsfile.

First you could have a look at the hostsfile while the program is turned on and then while it is turned off - maybe you can spot a difference. To view the hostsfile open terminal and type (confirm with enter):
    Code:
    cat /etc/hosts
    To view the DNS Config:
    Code:
    cat /etc/resolv.conf
    Bye.

5. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Forget the programs to block. Just Change your DNS and use something like OpenDNS and open an account to block the web sites you want to block. Most kids will not understand DNS and won't be able to hack the software to get around the block (you can set up you own custom message as shown in this video).

6. PaulDemp macrumors newbie

Possible Solution

Try turning Stealth mode off in your firewall - there's some kind of override that ruins these apps (because you can just turn it on and off if you want to access the sites).

However, at least it's tucked away by several clicks and an authentication (since you aren't running an admin account.. right!)

;0