Antivirus and Trojan

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ghostrider501, Dec 29, 2010.

1. ghostrider501 macrumors member

Hi to all, Two weeks ago i bought my first ever imac,
    From what i have read on here from other forums i understand that my mac is pretty safe from virus's,so my question is about Trojans and things like that,will an antivirus program like Avast pick up trojans?Or what can i do to to make sure my mac is trojan free? i know i have entered my password to install programs but they were only programs like Vuse,ToastTitanium AppCleaner,but i have downloaded some music and movies from thepiratebay and thats why im worried now,but i have always downloaded from the same uploader as my pc days,but i guess that doesnt matter,im not having any trouble with my mac but i just want to make sure its ok,thanks to all of you..

2. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

You really don't need to be worrying. I've been using Mac's for a little over 20 years now and have not once acquired a virus or Trojan.

I was running Norton AntiVirus a year ago and experienced a few problems with it. When I came here for assistance, I got answers like, "Why are you using Norton AntiVirus?"

Its really up to you if you want to use protection software. I mean, you'd have to really try hard to get a virus or Trojan. If your cup of tea is to download things from shady and sketchy websites, protection is probably a good idea.

Norton AntiVirus
    Best Way To Scan for Trojans

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

4. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Psst...don't mention the "PB" website on MacRumors...they frown on that.

As others have stated though you really don't have to worry about it on a mac.

5. playstationdork macrumors newbie

I've heard about a trojan that makes you write run on sentences and i believe that you can get this from pirate bay not saying that you do but you may because you could have gotten it from something else or you may not have anything at all.

6. ghostrider501, Dec 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2010

ghostrider501 thread starter macrumors member

oh ok sorry,thanks for the advise..

John Doe 57..You really don't need to be worrying. I've been using Mac's for a little over 20 years now and have not once acquired a virus or Trojan.

I was running Norton AntiVirus a year ago and experienced a few problems with it. When I came here for assistance, I got answers like, "Why are you using Norton AntiVirus?"

Its really up to you if you want to use protection software. I mean, you'd have to really try hard to get a virus or Trojan. If your cup of tea is to download things from shady and sketchy websites, protection is probably a good idea.

Thanks for your advise and thoughts,what do u think of clamxav? is there any disadvantage of having it on my mac?or anyother antivirus?thanks again..

GGJstudios...The only defense you need against trojans is common sense
    i know alot is just common sense but both my brother and sister use this mac,not much but they do thats why i just want to be sure its ok,thanks again..

7. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

I've never used that before. You could go ahead and give it a try. Though because its free, it does an ok job. I found this user review:

More reviews:
    http://antivirus.about.com/od/antivirussoftwarereviews/fr/clamxav.htm
    http://www.macworld.com/reviews/product/405603/review/clamxav.html
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/149011/review_clamxav_11.html

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

By the way, when you want to quote someone, use the [​IMG] button. If you want to respond to separate statements within their quote, simply copy their entire quote and paste it as many times as you need. Then go back and delete all but the first statement within the first quote (be sure not to delete anything inside the brackets [ ]) and insert your response after the [/QUOTE] which ends their statement. Do the same for each statement you want to respond to. It makes your responses easier to read if you use the quote function. If you want to respond to multiple people in one post, click the [​IMG] on each post you want to quote and then click [​IMG] at the top of the thread.

9. ghostrider501, Dec 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2010

ghostrider501 thread starter macrumors member

ok thanks,

I downloaded clamxav and ran it about 3times, only took about a mintue to scan each scan, but it didn't find anything during any scan, so I'm hopeing it's ok and Trojan free, what you think?

10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

It is extremely unlikely you have a Mac trojan. They are exceedingly rare.

11. ghostrider501 thread starter macrumors member

ok thank you..

12. MacTribe macrumors member

MacTribe

I work in the IT support industry and I've yet to come across mac with any kinda infection. In fact, quite the opposite. I've tested a few AV's just for giggles, they all seem to slow down the machines quite a bit. :mad:

Best advice in my opinion is as mentioned above: