Antivirus for macs

Discussion in 'macOS' started by calnexinmac, Sep 13, 2010.

1. calnexinmac macrumors newbie

hi everyone. i just got my MBP couple weeks ago and its my first mac and i must say i LOVE it. so everyone says that macs do not get viruses, but there viruses out there that will effect macs, its just not many out there compared to PCs. i wanted to know is there a benefit to getting a antivirus software on my mac and if there are any free ones out there???

thanks

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

There are no viruses, and you don't need antivirus.

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

No, you don't need to worry about your Mac. As you said, there are very few viruses, and all have been addressed with security updates (the best defense against malware is up-to-date software).

Antivirus software for OS X is designed primary to prevent a Mac from passing on a virus to PCs. Unless this is your concern, don't give it another thought.

Enjoy your new Mac. :)

4. calnexinmac thread starter macrumors newbie

i forgot to mention that i installed windows on it as well and i installed AVG in windows. so that should be fine right? and thanks all for replies

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yes, Windows needs it and AVG will work just fine.

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Yes, that's sufficient. And remember to backup both partitions regularly. :)

7. hakuryuu macrumors 6502

I run ClamXav on my Mac Pro and MBP. This is, as stated, pretty much so I don't pass viruses and malware to other people that use Windows. However I expect we'll get some malware on OS X any year now. Plus ClamXav runs about as light as it gets for anti-virus so its not like I take a hit on performance.