Antivirus Help PLEASE!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by guzmansg, Dec 10, 2007.

1. guzmansg macrumors member

Ok, here's what I did......I installed Symantec antivirus for Mac (it was free and I wanted to try it out)....I scheduled selected drives I wanted the software to scan but after 10 minutes I wanted to get rid of the software. Why? Because everytime I plug my iPod to sync, it wants to scan all 50gb of music.

I deleted the application and now everytime I plug the iPod, it still wants to scan it!!!!! Where is this coming from? I thought I deleted the whole thing!

I do have time machine however.....Is it as simple as restoring my old applications folder or is this problem bigger than that???

Please Help!

2. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Haha - antivirus for Mac provides a lot more problems than it is worth!

You'll need to uninstall it - run the installation package again and it should give you the option to remove it. Either that, or in Applications there will be the Symantec folder and in there, something to remove it.

Deleting it isn't always the best thing if you had to install it - when it installs it puts crap all over the place and it isn't very easy to trace it all back manually.

3. TheStu macrumors 65816

It is much, much bigger than that.... you should see if they provide an uninstaller. Or, you may have to reformat the whole system, though you might be lucky enough to get away with a new user account.

Also... you installed an AV program?

4. guzmansg thread starter macrumors member

I don't know what I did. I just deleted the Symantec folder from the applications folder and it seems to still be there. It keeps popping up anytime I plug an external drive or iPod to the computer.

5. TheStu macrumors 65816

The issue is that something like that doesn't just live in the Applications folder, it drops stuff in the Library and sometimes other places as well. I had a similar issue with LittleSnitch... it was so bad that it was causing Software Update to not work, I couldn't get pictures off my digital camera and Preview wouldn't open files.

I switched to a different user account, and all was resolved.

6. Crash-n-Burn macrumors regular

You can try reinstalling it, then using a program like appzapper or the remover that comes with it to uninstall.

7. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

Maybe it's something in Application Support folder. If there's a Symantec folder there, try deleting it too. Or try to search for Symantec.

8. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

It's far worse than that - Symantec AV installs a kernel extension. The OP really needs to use that uninstaller.

Next time, remember - if it says Symantec, you do NOT want to install it on your Mac - it WILL cause problems.

9. guzmansg thread starter macrumors member

I'll give this all a try when I get home

Thanks to all for their input. I'll give this all a try when I get back home to my Mac.

10. billmister macrumors 6502

This is exactly what i would do. Reinstall and use Appzapper to uninstall. It will uninstall all the added setting set and stuff for that app. Good Luck

11. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Actually it doesn't. Symantec does provides a lot more problems than it is worth. ClamXav works great and takes as much maintenance as Safari. :cool:

@OP - You have to run the uninstaller. That's the only way to get Norton off.

12. iTim314 macrumors 6502