Antivirus on iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by barrett14, Dec 18, 2012.

1. barrett14 macrumors regular

What are you guys using for Antivirus protection? What is the best free program?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't need any 3rd party antivirus app to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as you practice safe computing, as described in the following link. Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.

If you still want to run antivirus for some reason, ClamXav (which is free) is one of the best choices, since it isn't a resource hog, detects both Mac and Windows malware and doesn't run with elevated privileges.

3. majkom macrumors 65816

None. WTF are all those threads about antivirus?

Few rulez:
    1. disable java (not javascript) in your browser (in safary - preferences - security - uncheck Enable Java)
    2. turn on firewall in mac os x
    3. do not enter you admin password if you dont know why you are asked

Done. There are no viruses for os x, there are only trojans/malwares - if you follow those 3 steps, you are malware/trojan free... antivirus is worth nothng on mac...

4. macman05 macrumors regular

I don't use anything and never had a problem.

5. bigcat318 macrumors 6502

Havent used any in my 4 years as a Mac owner.

6. barrett14 thread starter macrumors regular

Only reason I ask is that I accidentally just clicked on a suspicious tweet to a nowhere link...

7. 2012Tony2012 macrumors 6502a

2012Tony2012

8. GGJstudios, Dec 18, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2012

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Redirects can occur with no malware involved. You're fine.

That 3 year old video is outdated and erroneous. While it's true there are no Mac OS X viruses in the wild, there are a handful of trojans in the wild. That video falsely claims there is only one, which wasn't even true 3 years ago.

9. DrawMe.com.au macrumors newbie

I was advised (off the record of course) by an Apple engineer not to use any third party anti-virus software.