Antivirus scanner

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dcaccount, Sep 28, 2014.

1. dcaccount macrumors regular

Hello,

I read a few threads on Mac virus and I have pretty clear ideas on the subject. However someone advised me a while ago a non resident scanner that might be worth running once in a while.

I forgot the application name. Can anyone please remind?

Thanks, Daniele

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Probably ClamXAV. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 12 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below). 3rd party antivirus apps are not necessary to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as a user practices safe computing, as described in the following link.
    Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.

3. MacTCE macrumors 6502

One thing to note about ClamXAV is that it's a passive antivirus scanner. Meaning you need to either schedule or manually run scans on your Mac.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The OP asked for a passive scanner, so ClamXav meets that need. ClamXav can also be set up as an active scanner, automatically scanning files as they arrive, although that is not necessary.

5. dcaccount thread starter macrumors regular

Actually I do need a passive scanner. I would not like anything resident.

Is the software this one: http://www.clamxav.com?

So if I understood correctly, it does not install any resident scanner but it is my choice upon launching it. Is that so?

Please advise, thanks, daniele

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Perhaps we're using terminology differently. You have two choices: One is to have antivirus always running, automatically scanning files as they are introduced to your computer. The other is to have an antivirus app that is not always running, but rather you launch it to scan your computer when you want to, then quit the app when you don't need it. ClamXav can be configured either way. Yes, that is the link to their site.

If you're not participating in risky activities, such as installing pirated software, you don't need to worry about using any antivirus app on OS X. Be sure to read the links in my first post to understand how to practice safe computing.

7. dcaccount, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2014

dcaccount thread starter macrumors regular

It is clear.

I do not want the antivirus always running but I have not found where to look for this setting.

What shall I do to be sure not to have it always running?

PS, I downloaded the version from the App Store.

Thanks!
    Daniele

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

ClamXav's Sentry feature provides that functionality. As long as you haven't enabled Sentry, ClamXav is not continuously running. Refer to their website for documentation on the Sentry feature.

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

http://www.clamxav.com/docs_prefs_sentry.php

The "Sentry" feature is not available in the App Store version and that is why you are not seeing the option.

10. dcaccount thread starter macrumors regular