Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I don't use it but you might want to search the Internet for reviews.

tony3d

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
The only reviews I see are on the App Store. What do you use?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I usually avoid antivirus software on my Macs (definitely needed on my windows machines). I don't see the need for such apps for OS X.

Reactions: R3k and Ulenspiegel

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
It may seem strange, but you don't really need an anti-virus software on a Mac. Neverteheless, I also have two apps that I use, though very seldom. Both are on-demand software, they don't run in the background, do not require any system resources when not used.

Reactions: R3k

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Unless you are accepting and sending Windows files to other Windows users, I wouldn't worry with loading an anti-virus program on your Mac. I do suggest installing Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac (formerly known as Adware Medic). Depending on how you use your Mac, or allow it to be used by others, you have a greater chance of acquiring some form of Malware, than you do a virus that can affect your Mac, in my opinion.

Reactions: R3k

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
Unless you are accepting and sending Windows files to other Windows users, I wouldn't worry with loading an anti-virus program on your Mac.

Out of curiosity, would plain old PDF files count as this? Because I do regularly send PDFs back and forth between colleagues who I know use (somewhat crappy) Windows machines. Never thought about this before...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.