Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Halcyon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
So I got Parallels Desktop to check some of the web pages I develop on different platforms (XP, Linux, etc.)...but when running IE I got all kind of warnings with bells and whistles warning me about probable virus, so I guess it's time to get some antivirus and spyware software specifically for this.

I've read on other threads that even if a virus gets through (I don't see how not if I'm running XP and IE) it won't harm my computer. I can agree with that, but I've noticed that running IE on XP (while on PArallels of course) is getting very slow and lots of warning popping up make it unbearable.

Any suggestions on antivirus, spyware, etc. to purchase and install (if freeware, even better)?

TIA

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
AVG as suggested is a great free AV program. Get windows defender for spyware, it's free too.

DennisMitchell

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2011
Several customized versions of AVG AntiVirus, including AVG Anti-virus 9.0 and AVG Internet Security 9.0, makes it one of the most in-demand antivirus software.

waynep

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2009
Get Microsoft Security Essentials. It's free, seems to work well and is not a resource hog.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.