Antivirus Software

gbf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2019
Just opened my new MacBook Air and I am a big fan of antivirus and anti malware software.
Please give me recommendations.
Thank you!

gbf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2019
No hate. Because Macs are vulnerable to viruses and malware.

Erehy Dobon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2018
I use Malwarebytes on my MacBook Air. I did not pay for premium so I do not get realtime protection. That's fine, I don't feel like I need to give up CPU cycles for that.

I have been using Macs since the early Nineties and my systems have not had any malware. If I recall correctly, Macs have not had any viruses (following the technical definition of 'computer virus') at all.

Admittedly some people have more promiscuous computer using habits than me. A lot of this comes from not using content blockers. Using content blocking technology is unassailable if you do it primarily for security reasons.

bsamcash

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2008
Cupertino, CA
Because Macs are vulnerable to viruses and malware.
Viruses, no. Malware, possibly. Trojans are a real thing, but you have to actively offer them permissions. I think the most common "malware" nowadays are invasive browser plugins and tracking.

gbf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2019
The apple store sells Norton for a reason.
Look. I have sensitive info on my machine and I want to protect myself and my investment.
So getting back to the topic. Can anyone recommend a brand?

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
"Because Macs are vulnerable to viruses and malware."

There has never been a "Mac virus" discovered "in the wild".
Not. A. Single. One. Ever.

There is malware/adware/crapware.
Use MalwareBytes to handle that.

nutmac

macrumors 601
Mar 30, 2004
This thread is getting silly. Whether Windows-like virus for Mac exists or not is besides the point.

If you are careless and click "OK" and enter admin user password to allow some random app to be installed (e.g., fake app updater), your Mac can be infected with adware, trojan horse, or ransomware. And some MS Office files can be infected, which cause smaller damage, but damage nevertheless.

If you fall into these risks, then it's certainly advisable to have some protection.

Aforementioned Malwarebytes is probably the least intrusive, although it is also known to be protect less (but certainly good enough for most).

Sophos is more robust solution, but it tends to be more resource hungry than Malwarebytes.

P.S. I personally recommend updating security updates frequently, not lower default security settings, and avoid letting some random app to ask for admin password. And keep Malwarebytes in free mode for routine system scanning or cleanup prior to installing an app you downloaded from the website.