Antivirus/tracking software

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by SoundMan, May 8, 2010.

1. SoundMan macrumors member

Hi

I'm still new to the Apple world:eek:

I wanted to know do any company's offer Mobile Anti Virus Programs and Tracking software for the Ipad.

I'm very nervous when using online banking or bidding on ebay etc

Also Do the same company's offer Tracking Software for a Ipod Classics

I have a 120GB Classic Ipod,that was using Ihound but have dropped support now.

thanks

2. magpie maniac macrumors 6502

magpie maniac

Intego's VirusBarrier can scan your mobile devices (iPhone, iPad) while they are connected to your PC/Mac.

3. LinMac macrumors 65816

Hi SoundMan,

Welcome to the Apple World. :)

The first thing you'll learn in the Apple World is that you don't need antivirus software for an iPad or iPhone. As of right now, it is impossible for your phone or tablet to be infected with a virus due to the way they are designed. It just can't happen.

Macintosh systems based on the full Mac OS X operating system can be infected at least in theory, but no viruses currently exist for these either. If you practice even the most basic diligence about not downloading from questionable sources then you should be fine.

4. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

Actually that is a lie there are in fact viruses for OS X but they aren't very common.

5. iRabbit macrumors 6502

The only one I'm aware of, you can get (in theory) through installing pirated Photoshop... And in that case, serves you right! LOL

6. LinMac macrumors 65816

Viruses are by definition self replicating. Trojans are not self replicating and require users to install them.

There are no self replicating viruses on the Mac OS X platform.

7. GamecockMac macrumors 6502a

GamecockMac

Dead. Wrong.

8. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Excellent post.

9. Sinfire macrumors regular

I heard there were viruses for the Jailbroken iPhones. And it won't be long until these viruses appear on the Jailbroken iPads.

10. SoundMan thread starter macrumors member

So are there Any other tracking programs for my Ipod or Ipad,

The Reason I wanted a Antivirus is I do bank accounts,paypal etc and with those pop up's I never know what's behind them.

Win 1000 million dollars,who is Jay leno,Then I try and hit the X to close it and opens up

11. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

I am not sure what you are trying to ask. You can't really put any apps on an iPod Classic but that also means you can't do online banking with it either. That iHound software needs a device that supports push notifications and location services. The iPod Classic supports neither.

As for antivirus, you don't need that for iPods, iPhone, iPads because apps can't install without your permission and they can't run in the background anyway.

12. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

You are getting popups on your iPad:confused:

13. GamecockMac macrumors 6502a

GamecockMac

Oh, you "heard" that, did you? Care to provide any proof beyond some hearsay? :rolleyes:

14. SoundMan thread starter macrumors member

I was looking for the Tracking Software for my Ipod

I know when Ihound was working for the Ipod Classic

I downloaded the app to my computer plugged in my Ipod and everything was great.

To see if the program even worked

I would plug my Ipod into another computer,boom get a email saying we found your ipod with the IP address and for me to contact the police etc.

That's the kind of program I'm looking for again for my Ipod and Ipad

But I guess they really don't make them anymore

15. Battlestar macrumors 6502

Since viruses can be delivered through port 80 why is the iPhone OS immune?

16. SoundMan thread starter macrumors member

O Yes,When I was on my wood working forum in the corner was one of those,so I tried to press the x to close it and then changed my address to there's saying I could win money

It's only happened once so far

This is why I'm nervous of using ebay etc

17. rworne macrumors 6502

They don't because programs like that use the Autorun feature on a PC. Since the iPad, iPod Touch, and iPhone do not have a "disk mode" you cannot use these.

Orbicule has a really neat program that does something similar to this, but because of the restrictions Apple imposes, they use a "honeypot" application that will send the device's location when the application is started.

The only other service type of service is offered through Mobile me called "Where's my iPad" that will locate the device remotely.

18. dan d macrumors newbie

Good post soundman, I will be watching this post. I too am nervous about online banking, paypal, bill paying and such stuff. I have put my laptop into retirement since I received my iPad ! I Would like to keep it in retirement.

19. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I use the PayPal and Bank of America apps with no concerns. I've used the websites for years without incident. If anything, the iPad is more secure than a pc by virtue of being new and not many hackers focusing on this platform. This could change, but secure web access is a very mature technology.

20. GamecockMac macrumors 6502a

GamecockMac

That's not a virus. :rolleyes:

21. LinMac macrumors 65816

Forcibly removing the security protections built into the devices so you can install unauthorized third party software doesn't quality as the devices needing antivirus software.

The iPhone OS in stock unmodified form is as secure as you can reasonably be on any modern device.

The iPhone OS is currently immune due to protective measures built into the hardware and software of the devices. You will need a more advanced understanding of operating system design to fully understand it, but simply put it isn't possible to infect the iPhone at this time.

22. dan d macrumors newbie

Does that apply to The iPad ?

23. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

Yes, as it uses the same operating system, only a newer version.