Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cp1217

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2011
Last year I but a MacBook Pro for school and the main reason I bought a Mac over a PC is because I didn't need Antivirus (Even though now that I switched from PC i'm never going back :) ). But just recently I went to orientation for college and I was told that to use the schools internet everyone has to have antivirus software on the computer, even if they have a Mac. This mad me upset but I guess I have to put antivirus software on my computer. The school will install antivirus on your computer (Symantec Endpoint) if you want to pay, but I don't want to pay. If you want free antivirus they recommend ClamXav. So my question is what free antivirus does everyone recommend? I want free antivirus that won't slow my computer down.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
If you must have antivirus on your Mac, ClamXav is probably the best bet. Sophos is not recommended, as it can actually increase your Mac's vulnerability. No viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any, since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install:

Madd the Sane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
Utah
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

There is a Mac version of Avast.

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
ClamXav is your best bet. Run very far away from Symantec and Sophos. Don't know much about Avast to make a determination either way. I thought, and feel, that Microsoft Security Essentials and NOD32 are the best antivirus software for Windows.

r0n1n

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2010
+1 for ClamXav.

I use ClamXav on two of my Macs, and use ClamTk (a GTK+ GUI for ClamAV) on my Linux box, to scan files that I share with family and friends that use Windows.

cp1217

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2011
Thank you I'll probably just stick to clamxav. I have avast on all of my pc's so I looked into it for my Mac and it is $35. If I really do not need antivirus ill just stick to the free stuff. Thank you for your help.

AlexH

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2006
I use ClamXAV too. Have to at the school. Great app. Free. Efficient. +3!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.