antivirus

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by suparobg, Aug 22, 2013.

1. suparobg macrumors newbie

is there a good antivirus program for the new imac's? Something that actually protects me

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd say its not needed, there are no viruses in the wild for OSX and most malware can be avoided by practicing safe computing

3. suparobg thread starter macrumors newbie

4. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

5. abz1981 macrumors 65816

6. CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

There is something from Apple in the latest OS X's which runs in the background & updates malware definitions. It's on by default.

There is also a sticky somewhere here on MacRumors about Mac security & safe practices, can't find it at the moment. Will post the link when I do. Edit: ahhh, thanks abz1981. That's it.

7. iMacUnsure macrumors member

iMacUnsure

Anti Virus

This is most likely been ask and if it has sorry. But do I need an anti virus software on iMac? I have Bitdefender for Windows but I do not know if it will work with a Mac. Any advice appreciated.:D

8. 960design macrumors 68000

Do you need antivirus for your coffee pot? watch? No sir.

If you build the technology properly in the first place, you don't need to rely on third party vendors to patch your mistakes. Can a mac get a virus, absolutely, but you have to click YES to lots of scary popup boxes warning you that what you are doing could be dangerous.

Even then, if you created a separate user account for yourself and sign in using that instead of the admin account (as recommended), you pretty much guarantee the worse thing that can happen is a popup in your browser asking you to purchase more health insurance.

In the best case virus protection on a mac will run in the background, slightly draining resources while scanning your emails. In the worst case virus protection itself will be unprotected and leave open ports, delete an important file it feels is dangerous, ect.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think you are misinformed on this. There have been malware out in the wild that did not require any administrator passwords to be entered. No amount of proper design will prevent hackers. We're not talking about a coffee pot that has no access to the internet or access to my private information - we're talking about a very complex operating system that has vulnerabilities. While I don't think antivirus software is needed yet. We are seeing an increase in malware that is exploiting holes in the security, some of which has bypassed the need for admin passwords.

Additionally, the malware isn't just going to produce pop ups, they have the potential of stealing your passwords and other information which could be disastrous given that we do so much online, like bill paying.

Stating that because OSX is built properly we have no need to worry about any malware and that the worst case scenarios is dealing with popups in erroneous at best.

10. hindmost, Aug 29, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013

hindmost macrumors regular

hindmost

'virus' issues are pretty much a Windows problem. However, if you want to 'feel safe' (I admit I'm one of those folks too) there are FREE antivirus software programs out there.

Bare bones but good is Clamxav.Just 'google' for it.

If you want a commercial program from Norton that has a cute graphic interface,with the obvious name of 'iAntivirus' and also is FREE see: https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v73668812_EndUserProfile_en_us

11. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I use ClamxAV just to play it safe. It has no noticeable impact on performance from my experience.

12. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

It has a great scheduling setup. Just set it to scan once a week (I have Tuesday at 11:50am) at an off use time and your are protected. The rest of the time there will be no Process running.

13. The-Author macrumors newbie

I find the comments about not needing any anti virus programmes for OSX always quite annoying. The point not many people actually mention is... that internet security/anti virus programmes etc. don't only protect you, as a mac user but also if you're in a network where there are windows users etc. these viruses can easily enter the network, if not protected properly. So I for myself am one of the Mac users using Internet security system to have double protection for me (there can be viruses out there Apple doesn't detect, etc.) and for windows users. When I was at Uni I was required to have protection when entering the Uni network.

Plus I like saying: better safe than sorry.

But if you wanna put all your trust in a company, then so be it... don't wanna persuade anyone who thinks otherwise...

14. old-wiz macrumors G3

There are no Mac viruses. Windows viruses do not infect Macs and do not even run on Macs.

15. 960design, Aug 29, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013

960design macrumors 68000

I stopped right there. Malware does not equal virus. OP asked about virus protection.

And to correct your misinformation:
    http://www.amazon.com/Jura-Capresso-Impressa-Automatic-Coffee-Espresso/dp/B00008I8NT

And to give you leg up. That coffee pot was indeed hacked. Luckily it's not like my custom internet connected coffee pot. Did you say you wanted it with no sugar and cream. Coming right up!

True. Hackers are a product of poor design. Good design doesn't prevent hackers. Good design prevents the access hackers want. I will not step upon my design box, but let it be known that software connected to the internet can be hack proof.

I did not state that at all. I stated that it does not need antivirus.

I truly know that I cannot 'inform' you of the truth of software design. I've fought that battle for 20+ years. I also know that the intent of what you say is absolutely true. I feel that society's misunderstanding of how a coded virus actually works leads to tons of rumors, movies and bad plot lines.

----------

But it's not safer than sorry. There are known exploits via virus protection software. I think virus protection on Unix-Cored software leads someone to have a false sense of security. It is not the company I trust it is the software base.

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 12 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below). 3rd party antivirus apps are not necessary to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as a user practices safe computing, as described in the following link.
    Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.
    Apple does not make a standalone antivirus app. OS X does have anti-malware protection, such as Gatekeeper, built in.
    iAntiVirus has a bogus malware definitions list, making their detection accuracy untrustworthy. They also make inaccurate claims about the existence of Mac malware, in order to hype the need for their product. This post will give details.
    Annoying or not, 3rd party antivirus apps are not required to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as the user practices safe computing, which has been proven to protect even in cases where antivirus apps did not.
    If you haven't already done so, I encourage you to read: What about sending files to Windows users? from the: Mac Virus/Malware FAQ.
    There are instances where a network requires antivirus software for access to the network. In those cases, I recommend ClamXav, as it isn't a resource hog and doesn't run with elevated privileges. You can run scans when you want, rather than have it constantly use resources.
    But if you wanna put all your trust in a 3rd party antivirus app, even though it has been proven that none are completely effective, then so be it. You can be safe by practicing safe computing. You can't be safe simply by running a 3rd party antivirus app.

17. 960design macrumors 68000

Very true, I've given demonstrations on how easy it is to do. But again, this will not be protected by a virus protection software, only an informed user.

I so wish I could tell/show you the stuff that is out there. You'd laugh at virus protection software, especially on polling based system.

18. The-Author macrumors newbie

they may not infect Mac's ... but if you have a file that has one involved etc. and you give it further to a windows user... s/he may receive the virus (I for instance work very intensively with windows users)... if you're in a network, or are doing some work and share things with other people... it's not only about you, but also about other people you work with or share things... and that you cannot deny.

19. old-wiz macrumors G3

So we are responsible for other people failing to use antivirus on vulnerable machines?