Antivirus

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Chazz08, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Chazz08 macrumors 6502

Before you tell me that I don't need it, let me assure you that I do. My company requires it for certain programs to work properly, and it goes through checks. Otherwise, I wouldn't have it.

With that out of the way, does anyone know of one that is the least burdensome to the system? The least hoggish, but still works well?

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Your company requires antivirus because certain programs run checks....but it doesn't tell you what AV programs are compatible with said checks?:confused:

I've found Webroot is extremely lightweight on windows, not sure about AV for Macs simply because I don't use it.

3. Chazz08 thread starter macrumors 6502

No, they require it because we are allowed to use both Macs and PCs, and they don't want them spreading, I guess. Our company portal checks your computer to see if it meets the security requirements, if not you can't log in. haha. They have a list of some that are approved, but I don't want to just start installing random programs without getting other people's opinions. I remember seeing both Avast and Sophos on there, and I think Norton and McAfee were too.

4. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

Get ClamAV. It's free ClamxAV.com there is also a version on the App Store but it has some limitations.

5. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

If your running both windows and OSX on a partitioned hard drive there's no way for it to magically spread to OSX from windows. But I'm sure your company won't change anything lol so just look around for in depth reviews on antivirus programs.

6. Chazz08 thread starter macrumors 6502

No, I mean as a company we can. I just use Mac, but others use Windows. But I still agree, I don't think a PC virus could send itself since it can't run on a Mac anyway. haha.

----------

Thanks! I'll check it out!

7. chown33 macrumors 604

Get an accurate list of what they approve, and post it.

Asking for advice without knowing whether it would be approved by your company is backwards. Start from the approved list, and then ask for recommendations either for or against.

8. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

clamAV is ok to comply with your company's requirement i suppose. you can say you have an AV installed.

if you are serious about an AV, however, you need to get kaspersky.

9. Chazz08 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'd rather just know what works best. I can submit it, and they can add it. It's really a simple process. That's why I'm just asking for what works. I already know I won't go near Norton or McAfee since they have always been resource hogs. What about Intego?

10. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

It's hard to say what works best since none of them have ever had anything to detect.

11. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Go for a nice round of Nod32. I love it for Macs.

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Here are some tests of Mac AV software more focused on Malware detection since that is the more real threat.

13. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It's not to protect his Mac from getting infected. It's to stop him from accidentally forwarding an e-mail with a virus in it on to his PC-using coworkers. It can still go through his computer even if it never ends up running on it.

14. gglittle macrumors regular

ESET is the most painless I have seen for both Macs and Windows. Tain't free, but then you get what you pay for.

15. jamesedwards399 macrumors newbie

Antivirus

I can understand Chazz, light antivirus is needed to keep your PC fast. Here are a few best ones that you may install in your system:-
    Immunet Plus
    Windows Defender
    Avira
    AVG
    Malwarebytes
    Microsoft Security Essentials etc.

16. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

Keep your PC fast? Really?

17. LV426 macrumors 6502a

I know that in my company, anything going in and out of our e-mail system is scanned for viruses by the mail server. I don't need any software on my Mac to do the mail server's job.

18. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

I think the OP means that a light antivirus (i.e. - not Norton or McAfee) will not slow down his system as much, thus 'keeping it fast'.

19. DEG1 macrumors member

20. comics addict macrumors 6502a

I have used it for the better part of my stay in OS X and have never confronted problems. so take it for what you will.

21. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I recommend avoiding Sophos, as it can actually increase a Mac's vulnerability, as described here and here. 3rd party antivirus apps are not needed to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as the user practices safe computing, as described in the following link. If anyone insists on running antivirus for some reason, ClamXav (which is free) is one of the best choices, since it isn't a resource hog, detects both Mac and Windows malware and doesn't run with elevated privileges.

22. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

ClamXav is probably the best choice because it works just like any standalone app. It's lightweight, and it only runs when you run it. You can manually scan for malware.

23. Irishman macrumors 68030

Any insight on the differences between the MAS version and the one from the developer's site?

24. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef