Antivirus

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dcaccount, Aug 17, 2014.

1. dcaccount macrumors regular

Hello everybody,

I am about to purchase a rMBP and I am new to Mac world, coming from Windows one.

I am wondering if with OS X I need an antivirus or if it not that necessary.

I will use the computer for the office, so web browsing, emails, documents, rarely some gaming.

If your advise is to install one antivirus, would you please advise your recommendation? What shall I choose?

I would not like anything very aggressive but a light and reliable product.

Thanks a lot, daniele

2. iDuel macrumors 6502a

iDuel

It is not necessary to install any type of anti malware product on your Mac. This is simply due to the lack of any serous threats in the wild for OS X and the fact that most threats require you to give your express consent in order to function properly.

3. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Turn on these two in Systems Preferences' Security & Privacy tab:

1. General tab: Allow apps downloaded from Mac Apple Store and identified developers
    2. Firewall Tab: turn on firewall

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd say this one big advantage that OS X over windows, no need for anti-virus software. Count me in as another stating its not needed. :)

5. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

ANTI-VIRUS

You do not need an anti-virus for OS X. There are not now, nor have there ever been, any viruses in the wild that effect OS X.

OS X is not immune to viruses, but thus far there have been none in the wild that have been a problem or infected Macs. There are other forms of malware that can effect Macs, but the best way to avoid them is safe computing.

If you really want to, you can get ClamX, which will scan for nasties and quarantine them. I use it once a month and it cleans out a bunch of harmless (probably Windows) junk which has no impact anyway. The nice thing about ClamX is it doesn't run in the background, and so it doesn't use any resources until you open it for a scan.

Mac Virus/Malware Info by GGJstudios

GGJstudios' http://guides.macrumors.com/Mac_Virus/Malware_FAQ

6. Sciuriware macrumors 6502

Sciuriware

(anti)virus

Something to think about:
    recently the Windows Vista laptop of a friend crashed.
    It was not the disk, so I copied the contents of the disk to my iMac,
    in order to recover some photos for my friend.
    Although my friend had AVG installed, suddenly CrossOver
    (Windows emulation based on Wine)
    told me that an unnamed program wanted to be installed.
    I rejected it but it still puzzles me ........
    ;JOOP!

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The only thing to think about it, that your windows installation is vulnerable, not OS X which I think is one everyone is saying.

It does matter if you're using WINE, or VMware or bootcamp, its windows or running windows apps so its vulnerable. OS X on the other hand has no record of any virus in the wild.

I didn't OS X can't get viruses, but so far there's been none out there. It can have malware but safe computing habits can largely mitigate that risk.