Antivirus?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by vikas027, Aug 19, 2014.

1. vikas027 macrumors newbie

vikas027

Hello All,

I am new to Mac world. I was just curious to know do we need to install an Antivirus on OS X.

Just came across the below articles
    http://www.dailytech.com/Apple+Admits+Its+Macs+Have+a+Malware+Problem/article24451.htm
    http://www.themarysue.com/apple-virus-immunity/#geekosystem

I understand there are rootkits for Linux (never installed any Antivirus though), but do not know if OS X are also susceptible to Viruses.

Request you to please share your views on this. If there is a need, which one should be installed.

2. simsaladimbamba

If you really want or have to - ClamXav.

Currently there are zero viruses affecting Mac OS X in public circulation, but there are other kinds of malware existing, that can infect your Mac, but that can be avoided via employing the proper security steps without the help of any anti virus software.
    To learn more about malware in Mac OS X and what steps can be taken to protect yourself, read the following F.A.Q.:

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Any OS is susceptible to viruses, there are no known viruses in the wild for OS X. The general consensus is that you don't need an ant-virus app. Just practice safe computing habits.

4. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Go to Systems Preferences., then Security & Privacy icon.

• On the General tab, make sure you have it set run apps from one of the first two options...not the last one option which is "Anywhere".
    • On the Firewall tab, turn on the Firewall.

5. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

If you want to muck up your system, install an antivirus. But...you don't need one like you do with that inferior OS.

6. LV426 macrumors 6502a

You might want to resist the temptation to install a Flash plugin, as it's a well targeted weakness on all computer systems. I live without Flash quite happily.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 12 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below). 3rd party antivirus apps are not necessary to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as a user practices safe computing, as described in the following link.
    Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.

8. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

Your question might be better phrased as "do I need anti-malware software?" rather than asking about anti-virus software. Many users seem to get hung up on the whole virus thing and chose to completely ignore the threats from everything else that is not classified as a virus.

IMO, yes, get something to protect yourself. If you look search old threads on this topic you can find some useful opinions from users who use anti-virus/anti-malware apps. I recall a user who actually said he didn't care for brand "X" because it had administrative capabilities. I forgot to ask him if that was, in any way, similar to how many Apple apps have admin capabilities, lol. Silly users.
    :rolleyes:

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

All OS X malware in the wild can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing alone, with no 3rd party anti-malware app is required. Also, such apps won't protect against user ignorance or foolishness, and the detection rates of such apps is less than complete.

10. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Furthermore, as I understand it, a virus antidote cannot be written for a non-existent virus. Thus, the virus has to be detected first, then the counter to it can be developed. This is true for any OS. Since there isn't a virus for Mac OSX, there are no useful anti-virus applications.

11. AbingdonBod macrumors newbie

Is the fundamental reason no Mac viruses exist because the Mac OS is peculiarly resistant to attack?

You would have thought Macs would present an irresistible challenge to virus developers otherwise.

12. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I only use ClamXav's on demand scanner (it isn't constantly running) to check downloaded files or attachments from others. Mainly just to prevent spreading Windows malware.

13. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Yes, exactly. The tired old explanation that there are no Mac viruses because Macs are such a tiny percentage of the market is off base for precisely that reason. Anyone who could penetrate OSX would become a legendary hacker.

14. CelestialToys macrumors 6502

I totally agree with what others have said, you don't need an anti virus software for a Mac.

There is however a school of thought that says that it is courteous to occasionally use a one time scanner to remove any Windows viruses from your machine so as not to unknowingly spread them about, and some companies require that you have antivirus installed before you can access their networks.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Definitely great on Windows, I didn't know they had a Mac flavor.

16. Descarreaux macrumors newbie

Descarreaux

utorrent Malware

Hi folks

I don't know exactly what it is called, but yesterday I have install Utorrent.
    And it installed some kind of malware.

It searched on my musics file and I saw that the torrent app was uploading some of my music files.

I do not know how to delete that.

It install also an extension on Safari and change the search site and the home page.

I will try ClamXav, but it doesn't seem to be a virus.

At least with the release of Yosemite tomorrow, I will make a clean install.

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It doesn't sound like you have malware at all, but you simply need to adjust your settings on your torrent app. It sounds like it installed a related Safari extension and reset your home page. You can uninstall the app, along with the other components.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

18. Descarreaux macrumors newbie

Descarreaux

I wish it were that simple. I just look at the preferences and there is no such adjust option.

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You may want to consider uninstalling and using a different app, such as Transmission, which doesn't include such annoyances.