Antivirus

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by nrvna76, Dec 11, 2016.

1. nrvna76 macrumors 6502

Bought my first windows pc in the last 10 years and it appears antivirus software has changed quite a bit. Some only protect from certain things, malware, ransom ware etc. different from what I remember when the choices were Norton or Mcafee. Can anybody recommend a good all around antivirus for a windows 10 pc?

2. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Been using the free version of Avast for years. I would go with that.

ESET is good too and very light, but it costs.

3. StayPuft Suspended

StayPuft

The built in anti-virus is more than sufficient. Combine that with scanning with Malwarebytes every once in a while and you're fine. That and common sense. https://www.malwarebytes.com/

If you want to pay for awesome protection, go with BitDefender. It has ransomware protection built in and is extremely lightweight.

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

This ..... if you really want to pay for something, buy the premium / sub version of malwarebytes for realtime protection.

5. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

6. Hastings101 macrumors 68010

Hastings101

The built-in Windows Defender is fine for most people, unless maybe you use a lot of sketchy sites. Download Malwarebytes and scan it once a week or something if you want extra peace of mind on top of that.

7. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

You dont even need to go sketchy sites... attachments, page forwarding, injected ads on normal sites, scripts...

8. KillaMac Suspended

9. mi7chy macrumors 68040

mi7chy

Stick with reputable source for software and content, don't have admin rights on the account you use daily, use ad blocker, Google DNS and/or OpenDNS, Chrome sandboxed browser, when in doubt scan via virustotal.com before installing, put your router management IP on a different subnet that's only accessible after changing PC to static IP, etc. Antivirus is reactive and even the best only catch about 2/3s.

This is from real stats and not marketing material:

https://threatcenter.crdf.fr/?Stats

10. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

I second that, it work very well.

11. frankgrimes macrumors 6502a

frankgrimes

Been using Anti Malware Internetsecurity from Emsisoft.com since half a decade, it's a great lightweight solution and so worth the price.