Antivirus

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nando2323, Aug 16, 2007.

1. nando2323 macrumors 6502a

What is the best antivirus software for OSX. I'm a newb sorry if this sounds stupid.

2. bartelby macrumors Core

You don't, currently, need anti virus to protect OS X but you may want it if you exchange a lot of files with Windows. You can still pass a virus on.

I'm not sure what is a good app, but Norton is BAD for OS X.

3. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

ya, thats the beauty of OS X, no need for virus software.

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

ClamXav is a good lightweight (and free!) virus scanner that will help keep you from passing along viruses to your Windows-using friends. But on the Mac side of things, you currently have nothing to worry about personally.

5. iMacBook macrumors 6502a

iMacBook

Is there anything that cleans out cache and the works?

Get rid of potential spyware and crap. I hate that stuff. Any suggestions?

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Spyware? We don't get that.

The automated cron scripts should take care of most of your cleaning needs, so most people don't really need to do manual cleaning. But have a look at OnyX if you want some control over these types of things.

7. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

no spyware to worry about either :D

8. RonRyan377 macrumors newbie

I want A 20" iMAC (nO ANTI-VIRUS NEEDED?)

Hello: Being a MS-Windows user since my first computer and now a new
    APPLE iMac owner soon; I understand that Apple computers are not bothered by computer viruses
    as MUCH as PC ownerers are.....but IF I do buy and install an anti-virus
    program for my new iMac,would that be money well spent if I do try and use
    Windows files occasionally?:confused:

RonRyan377

9. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

No, we are not bothered at ALL by viruses/spyware/etc. There is NONE (yet). AV software would presently be a waste of money, IMHO. Plus, the AV software there is is horrible (I hear so many bad things about Norton), except for ClamXav which is free anyway.

10. RonRyan377 macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks for the help.:)

11. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Well, if you work with Windows files frequently, there are potential benefits to a good Anti-Virus program.

For example, if you work with files that have Macros (such as documents), then those can contain limited viruses that could affect a specific program. One example is Microsoft Word. Macros from Word documents are supposed to work on both the PC and the Mac. And, there have been a few (very few) reports of Macro Viruses affecting the Mac version of Word. So, that would be one potential (although unlikely) situation.

The biggest benefit I would see, is that you would not unknowingly pass viruses onto your coworkers or friends. For example, say someone sends you a PC file that contains a virus. It doesn't affect you, so you don't notice it (and with no Anti-Virus you are not made aware of the virus). So, you pass it on to the next person in line when you are done with it. That person (being cheap, lazy, or whatever) has an outdated antivirus program on their Windows PC (or no Anti-Virus at all). Well, now their machine is trashed and they call you to complain because you sent the virus to them.

If you only work with your own files, then make whatever decision is right for you. But, if you receive a lot of files from different people, and then pass those files onto other people, do your friends a favor and scan them for viruses before passing them on.

I use the ClamXav program mentioned previously. I have it set only to scan things that get saved to my desktop (which is where everything I download goes initially). So, it only scans when I have a file go to my desktop. It's a fair compromise.