Antivirus?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by someone28624, Nov 24, 2007.

1. someone28624 macrumors 6502a

Worth the bother? I helped a friend upgrade to Leopard today and was shocked when her AV software started scanning the DVD. I didn't know people used antivirus with Mac. Is it worth it?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

No need for it at this point on OS X unless you regularly share files with Windows users. In that case, you might want to have a look at ClamXav, a free, lightweight antivirus package that will help keep you from passing viruses on to your Windows-using friends.

Anything like Norton will simply bog down your system and cause tremendous headaches while doing nothing good for your system.

3. someone28624 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's pretty much what I thought.

This same friend has been using a Macbook for oh, maybe 6 months. She subscribed to .Mac when she got her Macbook- and asked me what it's for. So basically, her subscription is half over and she hasn't touched it. Same friend asked me how to delete documents she doesn't need anymore today, and didn't realize she could remove icons from the dock. I asked my friend why she got a Macbook, "Cause they look cool, and Photo Booth is fun!"

We also discovered the "dictionary" feature tonight.

Is this beginning to explain why she needed help with the upgrade?

Well, she seems to be doing okay with it overall ;)

4. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Ha ha, when they say there's more software available on Windows that's certainly one piece of software I am happy to see on Windows only and that's Anti-Virus. :D