Ants and other crap in uMBP - what to do about it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macbook123, Aug 12, 2009.

1. macbook123 macrumors 68000

Since a large ant walked into the vents on the back of my MBP three days ago causing repeated rattling noises coming from the interior for several hours (like the ant had gotten half-stuck in one of the fans or the hard drive), I've gotten super-scared/anal about stuff getting into the laptop. I still don't know for sure whether the ant caused any lasting damage and whether he/she's still in there.

So I have a general question: what could have been damaged by this animal or what could be damaged by future invaders or the occasional food crumb falling into the keyboard and/or speaker holes?

Secondly, what can I do to clean the laptop? Is it safe to hold a vacuum cleaner to the air vents, keyboard, speakers, or is there a danger of destroying something (like the speaker membrane) due to the suction?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The internals are easily accesible in your notebook. I'd get some compressed gas duster and clean out the internals.

3. bcaslis macrumors 68020

If it's a UMP, then there are only a few screw holding the bottom cover on. Take those off and you can can see most of the internals. Then it's easy to check for anything or use air to blow things out (carefully).

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

dunno how a small ant could cause some rattling, hehe.

5. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

It was a large ant, about 3/4 inches big.

6. AMessy macrumors member

That's a huge ant. I use a low power vacuum to clean my PS3 all the time with no issues, I don't see any problem with using in the MBP. I also agree with what others have said, just take the bottom off and have a look.

7. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Woahser, that's a behemoth of an ant. Blow that thing out ASAP.

8. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Handbrake one of your favorite DVDs. That sucker'll shoot right outta there. It won't come out in one piece you know.:p

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Where the hell do you live where ants get that big?

10. AngryApple macrumors 6502

Can you take a picture of one of them ants? I really want to see one. MASSIVE ANT IS IN LOVE WITH APPLE.

11. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Can I ask how he got in there? There isn't any exposed areas to actually get inside is there?

12. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Get a pet anteater. I've never had any ant problems since I got one.;)

Attached Files:

13. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

OK guys, I just double checked with a measuring tape and 1/2 inch is more appropriate (I'm used to centimeters and got the conversion wrong). But yes, this guy was huge and the moment it appeared on the computer and headed right into the ventilation grill I was shocked. This MBP is just 15 days old...

Anyway, based on the rattling/scratching sounds I heard the rest of the day and the fact that they stopped I'm pretty sure the MBP killed the ant rather than the reverse...

14. midgetsanchez macrumors regular

The uMBP's are extremely easy to open. I suggest you open it, then remove the fans (which are held in place by 1 or 2 screws). EXTREMELY easy to do.

Should take less than 10 minutes total, if it's your first time opening it.

15. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

My friend sent his enormous Alienware computer back to the store for repairs, then stupidly trusted the repair center's estimate of 10 days. He booked a 5 day trip to Florida (we don't get much sun in Pittsburgh) and left. Of course, the repair center thought they were doing him a favor by finishing the day he left, and dropped the computer off at his doorstop. For 5+days. In the usual combination of Pittsburgh rain, Pittsburgh snow, and more Pittsburgh rain. Around here, ants have this tendency to crawl into any dry places to avoid the rain. This included the box his computer was shipped in. Just like when I lost my M1 Super 90 in the woods for 2 weeks, there were ants pouring out of the computer+packaging when he opened it. Sucks for him!!!! :)

16. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thank you all very much for the advice and positive words! I will open it up as soon as I get back home and have access to the appropriate screwdrivers. If the ant is still there I'll post a picture for all of your amusement :)

17. Branskins macrumors 65816

I really think there is a parallel here with Apple making these laptops greener and the ant thinking your MBP is its home! Maybe Apple made it too green? It might be confusing all the insects and animals!

18. cababah macrumors 68000

Start running BootCamp or encoding some movies to get that temp up and cook it.

19. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Insects seem to like electronics. It's probably the heat and EM fields. I had an iMac G4 that would attract unwanted attention.

20. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

id say get some bug killer. or sell your mbp to pay for orkin lol.