Ants trying to crawl into my Macbook Pro!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cathyy, Mar 28, 2009.

1. cathyy macrumors 6502a

About a month back I accidentally dropped just a handful of crumbs on my Macbook Pro's keyboard and speaker grills. I tried getting some out, but without much success. The next day when I opened the lid of the Macbook Pro, I could see 3 ants crawling about. I didn't really know what to do other than try to shake the crumbs out, and I kinda hoped the ants would stop eventually.

Since then, I would have an ant crawl over my Macbook Pro every couple of hours. I finally decided to observe one of them. It walked on the left palm rest, tried to find an entrance through my trackpad, climbed off my Macbook Pro, and started walking around the base trying to find a way in. It finally did walk under the base from the right side, so I lifted up my Macbook Pro to look for it. However it suddenly disappeared. I'm guessing it must have came out and crawled into the FireWire ports on the right while I was looking underneath for it.

About a minute later, it climbed out, walked over the right speaker grill then onto the monitor hinge, almost wanted to walk in through the vent but it changed it's mind and started crawling on the lid instead. I closed the lid of my Macbook Pro and squished it.

So I'm kinda wondering what exactly the ant is looking for? It seems to be finding an entrance in, but even when it did, it came out? It also saw the vents but didn't go in. (there's a possibility it was too hot)

Were they still looking for the crumbs that I dropped almost a month ago? What should I do? :(

2. catdog02481 macrumors regular

catdog02481

The wanton taking of another life is wrong.
    Did you know that crabs can feel pain and remember it too, could you have not kindly led the ant away from your "green" macbook pro without violence.
    Just a thought...
    I wonder what the ant's family is thinking right now that their dad did not come back home last night...

3. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

LOL!!!

4. catdog02481 macrumors regular

catdog02481

In terms of what you should do now, how about donating $1000 for the study of ants to your local favorite college. I think there is a guy at Harvard studying ant colonies and such....

5. cathyy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Constructive posts please. You're not helping. :mad:

6. JoshJosh117, Mar 28, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  7. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

I would use a strong hoover (Dyson) and hover quite closely over the keyboard buttons (even try taking them off) and over the grills.

Hope it helps.

8. eddieiseddie macrumors member

eddieiseddie

9. zotes24 macrumors regular

zotes24

haha omg this is too funny

10. bradenwh macrumors 6502

Wow. Just...wow.

11. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

No crumbs - but a few ants persist in going across my screen and area by the MacBook Pro sticker. I've learned to simply watch them cruise about.

They are obviously MBP fans :D

12. cathyy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea, but I didn't have any ants crawling about prior to that incident.

Would your suggest using a hand-held vacuum or taking apart the case to clean up whatever's inside?

Also, thanks a lot catdog2481 for hi-jacking my thread.

13. sehnsucht77 macrumors 6502

why'd you drop crumbs into your computer in the first place? you shouldn't eat sloppily in front of delicate electronic equipment. :rolleyes:

seriously, take apart the computer and vacuum the sh*t out of it.

14. Jurwin macrumors regular

Jurwin

Just run handbrake while ants are in your laptop. That should cook them alive. They can't survive the heat! :D

15. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

Hey, an ant free MBP and dinner.

Who can complain? :rolleyes:

16. cathyy thread starter macrumors 6502a

I play lots of TF2, so that should have been enough to kill anything that's inside. They come back after I'm done though.

It was kinda an accident. I had a couple of crumbs on a small plate which I wanted to clear, but I accidentally dropped them over it.

17. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

18. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

Don't Panic but try CandyBar. ;) :D

19. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

On a serious note.

Buy one of those Ant traps that have poison food in them, that they carry back to their colony and eat, killing all of them and the queen. Place it near your MBP.

I believe Raid makes them?

20. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Drastic times call for drastic measures. Find a used computer dealer or look around for any sort of 'windows xp inside' or better yet, an 'optimized for vista' decal.

Put it on your mac in a place where the ants can see it.

After the smart ants have fled, and dumb ones that stayed in the machine have sickened and died, vacuum out your pro, and remove all traces of the sticker or decal.

I'd further suggest having a priest do an exorcism and then blessing your machine via irc, or preferably, iChat.

21. windowpain macrumors 6502a

The ifixit site has a guide to taking it apart. Doesn't look like fun though..

I would try vacuuming it, maybe with some compressed air to try to blow things out.

Does squishing ants with the screen void the warranty?

Amazingly there is a forum post on this very topic on the apple site. Kinda like this one but with less ant jokes. :)

22. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Seriously guys, these posts aren't helping the OP...

23. MidwestStuck macrumors member

First, I have to say the account was amusing to read. Secondly, if you're having a lot of trouble with ants you can try putting salt around your MBP. It sounds stupid, but that'll definitely discourage them from crawling into your computer.

24. PeteB macrumors 6502a

PeteB

Just wait. If the ants are smelling food (=crumbs) in your laptop, let them go clean it out for you.

They'll stop when there's no reason to enter again.

A couple of days and you'll be free of them.

25. PeteB macrumors 6502a

PeteB

They're also averse to mint.