Any 15" MBP without Pixel Walk issues?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mbp2012, Jan 17, 2012.

1. mbp2012 macrumors newbie

I just got a new late 2011 15" anti-glare MBP. When scrolling on web pages the text flickers and gets a little blurry. It's enough to be noticeable and annoying. I did some research and this issue seems to be called pixel walk. Went to this website http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/inversion.php and my screen flickers a lot - all boxes when scrolling and 4a or 2b & 4b depending on where they're located on the screen.

I have a Lenovo laptop right next to it that has absolutely no pixel walk (or at least not enough to be noticeable). The Lenovo's resolution is lower (1368x768) than MBP and screen is glossy. I was wondering if any MBP's don't have pixel walk issues? Is there a difference between glossy and ant-glare in regards to pixel walk?

2. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I've never heard of this until now. I might suggest making an appointment at the genius bar of your local Apple store. If there is no store nearby I would call Apple & go from there.

3. Phantom Gremlin macrumors regular

Very enlightening website.

My 24" first gen Al iMac shows flicker on 4a or 4b on that test. I also get the shadow effect to the right of the black box on 4a/b. So it's not just laptops. Fortunately I've never encountered anything like that under real world conditions.

4. bill-p macrumors 65816

Hm... my MBP 15" w/ glossy low res does perfect. No visible pixel walk. There is visible ghosting on 3 and 4a, but other than that, nothing I can see.

5. mbp2012 thread starter macrumors newbie

I went to Apple store today to check other mac screens and all the macbooks I checked (15" MBP Glossy, 15" MBP AG, 13" MBA, 13" MBP) exhibited to varying degrees the blurry text while scrolling. The 21" iMac only had a little and 27" iMac barely if any. I guess this is something I need to get used to if I want a macbook? Does anyone know if this is universal to LCD screens or mac specific? Am I making too big a deal about this? I'm surprised this doesn't bother more people. I've found it very distracting.

6. theSeb, Jan 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2012

theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Get the Lenovo. I think you're missing the point of the test since nowhere does it say about scrolling. You're meant to look at the boxes and see if any of them flicker

The following are moving:

Dell U2412M - 4a & 2b
    2011 MBA 13" - 4a
    2009 Sony laptop - 4b

I can test on an ACD and a 2009 MBP 13" tomorrow.

Edit: iPad 2: no flicker

7. bill-p macrumors 65816

Most people don't follow the text while it's scrolling, I don't think. I usually read texts while they are not scrolling.

8. mbp2012 thread starter macrumors newbie

If my photo library weren't in Aperture then that'd be a viable option for me.

9. kolax macrumors G3

Apple uses LG and Samsung panels, usually a variety of 3 or 4, in their laptop displays. Luck of the draw if you get a good panel.

I had an antiglare MacBook Pro back in 2009 which had a checkered effect over everything that moved. I eventually took it back, Apple Store employee struggled to notice what I was on about, but was happy enough to exchange it.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=791590

10. bill-p macrumors 65816

I don't think LG or Samsung makes much of a difference. I think it is either a bad or good panel.

11. mbp2012 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for not being clear, I meant that if my photo library weren't in Aperture then maybe sticking with the Lenovo would be an option for me.

12. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Here is some one that has a similar issue to you

http://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...l-walk-screen-test-truly-indicate-a-problem-o

I may be wrong, but I don't think pixel walk has anything to do with the problem that you describe in your original post. To be honest I don't really understand your problem. If I scroll fast on any monitor / computer, the text can be blurry. I don't try to read it.

As per the link above, if I turn down the brightness on the MBA, then the flickering on the test page does indeed disappear. I am not sure what you're testing by scrolling on the test page. :confused:

I've edited my first response to mention that I am not sure why you're scrolling on that test page, since I think you're missing the point of that test, unless I've lost my mind.

13. bill-p macrumors 65816

No, I'm sorry. I read it out of context so I edited the last post.

14. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

15. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Does the text actually get blurry, or are your eyes just not focusing on it well enough so it seems blurry? And no, I'm not trying to be a jerk, it's a valid question. Some people have trouble with the hi-res screen and it bothers their eyes; I would think that would be even worse with the text in motion.

16. mbp2012 thread starter macrumors newbie

Text and other things actually get blurry and flicker while scrolling.

17. TechStooge macrumors member