any 3gs user install iOS5 successfully?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jnozsc, Jun 6, 2011.

1. jnozsc macrumors newbie

I download iOS5 beta1 ipsw file from imzdl and my friend has registerd my iPhone UDID to apple developer.

I download the iTunes 10.5, install it, and try to update to iOS5 beta1

firstly, I choose option key + "update", then I receive error 3002.

so I choose option key+"restore", it works , however, after restore for some minutes, I receive another error "error 14"

the apple document says "error 14" is a usb problem, I try my two USB lines, still error.

Does anybody install iOS5 successfully?

P.S: I use the OSX Lion as my OS, is it the reason why I receive error message?

2. fructose macrumors newbie

fructose

I didn't get to install it sucessfully, because my phone wasn't activated, but iOS 5 was definitely on my 3GS.
    I didn't get any errors.

3. bayshield macrumors newbie

No luck here

I have tried a couple of times this morning to get the iOS5 beta to install on my 3GS but am also getting the 3002 message.

I haven't upgraded to the new iTunes beta yet so I'm not sure if that might be the problem?

4. Switchview macrumors newbie

5. BlindMellon, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2011

BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

Does this all still require a Mac?

Edit: with a dev account you can download the windows version...

6. SanderDeclerck macrumors member

SanderDeclerck

It's not only the 3gs, I'v been trying it on my iPhone 4, and I also get error 3002...

7. haphadon macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

I had the same errors. You need to restore to iOS 5 not update I found that out agteare many failed attempts :p

So backup your iPhone then restore to iOS 5 worked on two of my iPhones and my iPad :)

8. JASApplications macrumors 65816

9. Mr Mot macrumors member

10. shandyman Suspended

is it missing any features? or all same as iPhone 4 and what was demoed?

11. JASApplications macrumors 65816

It's pretty much the same I think. The only thing different is you can't press the volume button to take a photo like you can on the iPhone 4.

12. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

I'm running the latest version of Snow Leopard and I tried it on my iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and iPad 1 and I get the 3002 error...

13. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Any chancing of you giving us an impression of how well it runs? I for one would appreciate it very much.

14. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Working really well on a 3GS here. Initially, it didn't look good: WiFi kept dropping off and the battery was dying at a rate of almost 1% a minute (!).

However, I think the problem was related to the personal hotspot - it was turned on on the phone and as soon as I disabled it, the battery life drop changed to 2-3% per hour and WiFi became rock solid.

My theory for this is as follows: As you may know, personal hotspot on the 3GS doesn't support WiFi tethering, but I think there's a bug in iOS 5 that means it's constantly trying to enable tethering over WiFi on the 3GS. This in turn is then killing both the battery and the WiFi. Of course, it may be co-incidental, but turning of the personal hotspot does seem to have fixed the issue

Performance wise, it's at least as smooth and fast as my iPhone 4, which makes sense really: Apart from less memory, there's little difference between the internal hardware of the 3GS and 4 apart from a slightly slower processor (and having less pixels to move around will compensate for that)

15. JASApplications macrumors 65816

Overall it's pretty good. It can get a little bit laggy if you are trying to do quite a few things at once... i.e Listen to music, play a game, text etc but don't forget this is the beta so the actual release should be better :)

At first when I was installing it I was a bit nervous because you can't downgrade back to iOS4 but the notification centre and iMessage are really cool so if you get the chance I would upgrade to it!

16. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

Installed like a dream on my 3GS and then prompted me to use my latest backup to restore. Went flawlessly and all my apps/music/mail and settings are there. Couldn't have went smoother.

Oh, and the volume up button works for taking pictures.

Seems a bit laggy, but nothing terrible.

No tabs in Safari yet. :(

Pull down notifications work good also.

Netflix runs but won't play movies. :mad:

Folders in Photo app!

More as it happens.

17. shandyman Suspended

Its iPad only

18. farleysmaster macrumors 6502a

I think the 3002 error tends to mean you have an entry for gs.apple.com in your etc/HOSTS file.