Any 3rd P Running Apps Compat. w/ AW HRM?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Apps' started by Chupa Chupa, May 6, 2015.

1. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Are there any 3rd party running apps that can sync w/ the AW's heart rate monitor or is Apple's native app the only game in town right now?

Side question: can you use the AW running app in the background while you use another running app on your iPhone in the forefront?

2. Symtex macrumors 6502a

The current SDK does not allow 3rd party apps to access the HRM.

3. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Yes, I use Nike+, :apple:Watch Workout and my Garmin 620 on runs.

I keep Workout on my :apple:Watch since it doesn't have an auto pause function.

4. Chupa Chupa thread starter macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Did not realize that. What a bummer. I hope that changes quickly -- seems like it must if the AW is going to seriously compete w/ sport watches and not just be one in name only.

Thanks for the info. Good to know. Can't wait to test out the AW HRM side-by-side w/ my Garmin 620 + strap this afternoon. But looks like the Garmin will remain my chief running watch for now.

5. Symtex macrumors 6502a

It will never compete with a chest strap because the strap is closer to the source (heart). It might do a decent job but it never be as precise. I don't understand what is the big deal about wearing a strap. I never really bothered me when I run.

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

While I agree, it can be spot on. I have found for me to tighten up 1 hole on my Sports band and push the :apple:Watch up my arm a few mm. Here is a 6 mile run and the average HR is identical to my Garmin 620.

Of course next time it may not be as accurate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]