Any 6+ owners finding screen taps & typing inconsistent?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sunking101, Dec 16, 2014.

1. sunking101 macrumors 604

sunking101

I am forever having to press icons two or three times before they respond and I've gone from being a zippy and precise typer on previous iPhones to a slow, error-prone hamfister.
    Is it iOS8, some common hardware issue specific to the 6+, or have I just got a random duff touchscreen?
    This unresponsive touchscreen is starting to really annoy me.

2. Bahroo macrumors 68000

Have not noticed that even one time at all on my launch 6 , and now i have a 6 Plus and have had it for weeks and. it hasnt happened to me ever...might sound like your Plus may be defective in some way..

3. JWorld127 macrumors 6502

JWorld127

I have noticed this problem on my 6+. mostly in landscape mode. its apple and its buggy....what do you expect?

4. sunking101 thread starter macrumors 604

sunking101

Thanks, that's interesting. I was wondering if perhaps due to the larger device size I may be tapping the screen with the very tips of my fingers, rather than a specific part of my thumb pad like I did when holding the smaller iPhones in one hand. I don't know if the very tips of my fingers are somehow less able to make the screen register that I've pressed it?
    There is of course the nagging feeling that I've managed to bag myself another lemon.:rolleyes:

5. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

i've had mine lag up sometimes for more than a few seconds and id press all over and nothing happens. then it'll be fine. probably just 8.1.2. i hope they fix it

6. Bahroo macrumors 68000

Not sure man.. These screens seem responsive as ever to me and are actually most likely better then the in-cell touch screen technology Apple used in the 5S/5(people complained about this ) i tap my iphone 6 plus screen the same exact friggin way i have always used smartphones lol and it works just fine in my case, just saying

7. AppleLoyalist macrumors member

AppleLoyalist

Yeah I've definitely noticed lagging and slow response to the touch screen. I wonder if I can use AppleCare for it since I'm out of the 14 day return window.

8. Shikaka macrumors regular

In landscape there are times when the bottom 1/4" of my screen is unresponsive. Comes in and out so I can't figure out the cause.

9. sunking101 thread starter macrumors 604

sunking101

The lower 1/4 to 1/8th of the screen is by far the worst for me, even in portrait.

10. thadoggfather, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2014

thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

I personally feel like iOS 8 just makes the touch screen not as responsive in general, though it still works well enough overall-- it bothers me slightly too. It's hard to gauge with 6/6+ since its new hardware that shipped with iOS 8, but I'm fairly certainly migrating from 7.1.2 to iOS 8.1 on rMini, I observed less screen responsiveness. Unfortunate. I experienced it on 6 too before tossing it to move up to 6+.

I think the difference is most people don't notice, just like the average person on the street will probably say iOS 8 is fine and bug free. Just like most people won't notice obvious screen flaws.

Seems like people on Apple support boards report the same with 5/5s who swore they had nothing but screen responsive zippiness from the get go.

Can't speak for the typing issue, but mine is as responsive as the rest of the screen. periodically it will play catch up and lag, but not sure if IOS 8 bug or a tweak I have that shows 5 predictive words instead of stock 3.

In terms of pecking at the keyboard it registering it in the right area instead of some complete opposite portion, it works as designed.

11. Learylvr. macrumors regular

Learylvr.

I've had mine since launch, I can't say my plus has ever done that. Wouldn't hurt to take it to Apple.

12. AbeFrohman macrumors 6502

AbeFrohman

FWIW - I feel like a brand new touch-screen typist now on the 6+, but it's not a hardware issue. I guess there's a certain degree of muscle memory where you just "know" how far to reach for a certain letter when typing. Now with the bigger screen, your "regular" reach/tap just misses. At least this has been my experience. Now to retrain my thumbs and get back to regular typing speed.

13. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

Yes, particularly in landscape, both when typing and playing some games.

14. azhava macrumors regular

Haven't noticed any such thing. The screen is perfectly responsive and I can type much faster/more accurately on the 6+ than I could on my iP5 in either iOS7 or 8.

15. thalazy macrumors regular

Haven't had any issues

like that with my iphone 6+. I exchanged for a 128gb model and so far no issues like that as well.

16. techspin macrumors 6502a

Haven't noticed it on the six, nor the 6+ when I had it. It didn't have 8.1.2 though. There was some slight lag/stutter on the 6+ but the screen registered every touch.