Any A+ certified technicians around these forums?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jc0481, Jul 11, 2009.

1. jc0481 macrumors regular

I am currently studying for the A+ exam. I received a A+ exam book just yesterday. This is the link for the book I bought from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Certification...r_1_35?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247373666&sr=1-35

I was just wondering would this book be enough or should I read the Windows XP Resource Kit which I do have. This I know will read to cover the software side of the test. I am not sure if I need to read the Windows Vista Resource Kit though.

Hopefully they don't change the exams every yearr. That will make it harder to study for in my opinion. Also two more questions.

1. How much is the test?
    2. Also passing the test has this opened up many doors for you since passing the test?

I hope someone here can help me out with my questions.

Thanks.

2. IBobby macrumors regular

IBobby

1. The test should not be that much, when i took it i had a voucher from my schooling but if i remember correctly it was a little over 150 for the test total.

2. Passing the test will defo get you somewhere like a computer tech job at say your local computer shop / best buy geek squad...

I am now a systems administrator for CellularOne in N.E AZ and i never went back for the A+ Hardware section...

My looks on certifications are very differing than others, i hold 0 certifications and 24 very well experienced in the Windows / Unix field, certs are only to show the Employer that you took the test, what they are looking for is what you really know... Real world experience shows more than a piece of paper... But in reality take that test pass it and keep on trucking for the higher ones...

Inet+
    Linux+

Pretty much all the comptia books are really good reads... :D sorry for the rants.

3. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Actually, the test will be expensive. CompTia tests are bloody expensive. How expensive? Over $400.

https://store.comptia.org/product.aspx?product=B_CPV_602

It will be a bit cheaper if you can get it through a CompTia member. Big companies and educational institutions are often members. Being a member gives a decent discount, but it's still pricey. Thankfully, many employers will either pay for the test or reimburse you if you pass it. This was the case in my first non-help desk job. They required me to get the A+ and Network+ within a certain timeframe. They reimbursed me after passing. It does help, as many lower level tech jobs either require you to already have it, or obtain it within a certain time. The one good thing about CompTIA tests is that they are good for life, unlike Cisco tests, for example.

The book you listed is ok. This one is good, as well. http://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Certification-All-Guide-Sixth/dp/0072263113/ref=pd_sim_b_3

Also, you may want to look into some testing software such as TestKing or Pass4Sure.

4. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Yep I am A+ and i can agree there it is expensive!

5. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

Not sure how much the tests are in the US but in the UK they are not that expensive (a little over £100 if I remember correctly)

As for getting the A+ certification, if you have little or no experience (and I'm talking real world working experience and not "I fix computers for my mom, mate etc) then YES the A+ certification is very much worth while. However it will only help get you a role such as 1st line support. If you want to progress much further then it would be very much worth while getting a certification in the area you are working (Microsoft, Cisco VMWare etc). Despite many people's attitude to certification and their statements that they don't mean anything, I'd say ignore those people. The days of the Microsoft exams being easy are over (unless of course you braindump them in which case you will be found out very quickly). There is nothing that beats proven real world experience but until you have that, having some well known certifications is only going to be a good thing. So to sum up, if you can afford it and you feel confident you will pass then book the exams and good luck. Remember, if an employer is looking at hiring somebody and two people have roughly the same amount of experience etc, but one has taken the time to get a certification then the employer is going to look more favorably on the one with the certification.

6. DrunkenMunky macrumors member

I'm 17, and im A+ and N+ Certified =D

I believe the A+ exam has 2 exams? costing around £64 each.