Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
I have a weird situation where most iPad displays (new, modern ones) seem to cause my eyes to feel dry/slightly burning within just a few minutes.

I’ve noticed this with the pro models, the air 5th generation, as well as- to a lesser extent- the 10th gen.

I know these don’t have pwm flicker, so I attributed it to temporal dithering to achieve p3 color palette on these 8 bit displays.

The odd thing is the 10th gen doesn’t have p3 colors, no temporal dithering as a result- so I’m at a loss as to why I get the slight feeling that I do even with that model.
Not asking for a diagnosis on that, just curious if anyone knows if there is truly any technical difference in these displays aside from the size.

Older apple displays like that of the MacBook Air 2015 have been completely fine for me, as has my iPhone 13 mini with the oled display.
Interestingly, also no issues at all with the dell laptop and external monitor I use for work.

I am suspecting there is something Apple is doing now in how their newer lcd displays work, so I’m trying to determine if the 9th gen display is old enough tech that it might be fine for me while the 10th gen does something a bit different/more advanced that I’m sensitive to.

Thanks!!

floral

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
iPad 9 uses normal Retina, where the iPad 10 uses liquid retina. I don't know how your eyes would start stinging if you look at a liquid retina display vs. a normal one, considering (afaik) liquid retina is just retina but it allows for rounded corners.

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
iPad 9 uses normal Retina, where the iPad 10 uses liquid retina. I don't know how your eyes would start stinging if you look at a liquid retina display vs. a normal one, considering (afaik) liquid retina is just retina but it allows for rounded corners.
Thanks. Yeah, I have no idea on the stinging eyes, and certainly wouldn't expect anyone here to be able to explain that.... but I was curious to know if there are any technical differences between these displays.

As you said, I think I have heard as well that liquid retina really just means rounded corners.
But, I have heard blacks are darker on the 10th gen, and that it overall is a bit nicer display than the 9th gen- so there must be some sort of a technical improvement on the 10th gen, but I don't know enough about these things to understand that difference.

floral

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
Thanks. Yeah, I have no idea on the stinging eyes, and certainly wouldn't expect anyone here to be able to explain that.... but I was curious to know if there are any technical differences between these displays.

As you said, I think I have heard as well that liquid retina really just means rounded corners.
But, I have heard blacks are darker on the 10th gen, and that it overall is a bit nicer display than the 9th gen- so there must be some sort of a technical improvement on the 10th gen, but I don't know enough about these things to understand that difference.
This feels like less of a tech issue and more of an eye issue. You may want to visit a doctor about that.

Reactions: BugeyeSTI

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
This feels like less of a tech issue and more of an eye issue. You may want to visit a doctor about that.
True, but it's odd that this only started when I started using a couple of different iPads since Christmas- no issues at all using my work Dell laptop, my old 2015 MacBook Air, or even my iPhone 13 Mini.... this has only been happening with the iPad Air 5th gen that I tried out, and to a bit lesser extent- the 10th gen iPad. There is something about these displays that are seemingly just a bit of a problem for me.

Danoc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
Have you tried to play with the True Tone and Night Shift options? I used to use them but one day I turned them off completely on all my devices.

Or the colour profile? I had massive headaches using the MacBook Air circa 2012, finding out that the default colour profile was the cause. I changed the colour profile from default to a colder/blueish one that was presented in the options at that time.

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
Have you tried to play with the True Tone and Night Shift options? I used to use them but one day I turned them off completely on all my devices.

Or the colour profile? I had massive headaches using the MacBook Air circa 2012, finding out that the default colour profile was the cause. I changed the colour profile from default to a colder/blueish one that was presented in the options at that time.
I have tried adjusting True Tone and night shift a bit, but will keep trying.

I haven’t tried color filter changes… was it a drastic change you made. Giving the display a strongly blue hue? And did that completely eliminate any problems?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.