Any additional news about Hulu?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Robin4, May 4, 2010.

1. Robin4 macrumors 6502

The last time I heard anything, they were planning some type of subscription plan.

Did I miss something?

Since the ABC app. seems to be very successful, (I can't wait to try it when I receive my iPad in a couple of days), do you think CBS and NBC will have their own apps?

2. Wimmachine macrumors newbie

While I don't have a direct answer for you, my friends and I were talking about this possibility the other day (each network having its own app and possible subscription). But Hulu is a joint venture of NBC, FOX, and ABC... If they move to a subscription-based model for content delivery on the iPad, what is the point of the ABC app? Or, what is the point of Hulu subscription if the ABC app offers everything for free? I don't have an iPad or watch network programming much anymore, so I have no idea what the content availability is like for the ABC app vs. Hulu, but I would imagine that if the Hulu subscription becomes a reality then the network specific app(s) would disappear or offer very limited free content (such as only the most recent episode).

It is going to be interesting to see how this plays out and if it paves the way for a new content-delivery model across all platforms. I don't see the current cable TV subscription business model lasting for much longer..

3. Robin4 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, the reason I asked this question is because I just canceled cable. i was frustrated with their constant increases and poor service. I suppose the last straw was the poor signal quality. During the spring months I either get a snowy screen or no picture at all. My best chance to watch is late evening. All for $100/mo for basic service.

I was having tv withdrawal, lol. I think I have solved my problem with Netflix but it will be nice to have choices.

4. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

There's always bittorent if you can take the legal risk. Vuze?

5. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

A Hulu app would basically make ABC app pointless. It only shows 5 recent episodes, just like Hulu will. Not sure I will subscribe to Hulu since I still have plenty on my NetFlix cue, but I will use the free stuff for sure. I want Daily Show on my iPad, looking forward to Hulu. :)

6. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

7. kenmarable macrumors member

How far back does the ABC app show? Last rumor I heard was Hulu is going to remain free for latest 5 episodes and rest would be under subscription. From what I recall on most of the major network websites, they are usually only latest few episodes as well and not further back in the season and certainly not past seasons.

If this is true, Hulu would be helpful not just for further back if you have a subscription, but also consolidating the various networks into one app. Not to mention they have many clips (probably over half the time I've spent on Hulu is SNL's Digital Shorts). :)

It is a question of whether the ABC app adds more than Hulu would and if the ABC app would still be useful after a Hulu app is out. I haven't used the ABC app (don't have an iPad yet) to know if it has much beyond just past few episodes of their current series.

8. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

Abc app only goes back 5 eps.

9. alana22 macrumors regular

I must say I too am disappointed at no Hulu on the iPad (so far). I was hoping to watch the Betty White SNL on it today only to realize Hulu requires flash, and there's no Hulu app (again, so far).

There are always torrent sites, but downloading avi's, converting them to .m4a with iSquint then transferring to my iPad is inconvenient. I have been enoying Hulu more and more over the last few months and think it would be spectacular on the iPad. Fingers crossed!

Edit to add: I would gladly pay $10 or maybe even $12 per month for a Hulu subscription iPad app. Like another poster in this thread, I also recently cancelled cable tv since the prices were insane and most everything I watch is already available on Hulu.

10. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

Only way I'd pay for TV was if it streamed live.

No way I'm paying to watch back episodes.

11. EnderTW macrumors 6502

From my source they were suppose to have this at launch but things didn't go according to plan. Their new deadline is actually tomorrow. We'll see.

12. 0s and 1s macrumors 6502a

0s and 1s

I thought Comedy Central content on Hulu was removed a few months ago? :(

13. Capt T macrumors 6502a

Actually it depends on which show it is. Lost has all seasons on the ABC app. Right now.

14. eoblaed macrumors 68020

eoblaed

Not true. I don't know about other shows, but they offer every episode of Lost, all the way back to the pilot.