Any advantage going from 5.0.1 to 5.1.1?

Grolubao

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
I have an iPhone 4 GSM jailbroken with 5.0.1. Is there any good advantage of updating to 5.1.1?

nfl46

macrumors 604
Oct 5, 2008
About iOS 5.1 Software Update
This update contains improvements and bug fixes, including:
■Japanese language support for Siri (availability may be limited during initial rollout)
■Photos can now be deleted from Photo Stream
■Camera shortcut now always visible on Lock Screen for iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and iPod touch (4th generation)
■Camera face detection now highlights all detected faces
■Redesigned Camera app for iPad
■Genius Mixes and Genius playlists for iTunes Match subscribers
■Audio for TV shows and movies on iPad optimized to sound louder and clearer
■Podcast controls for playback speed and a 30 second rewind for iPad
■Updated AT&T network indicator
■Addresses bugs affecting battery life
■Fixes an issue that occasionally caused audio to drop for outgoing calls

About iOS 5.1.1 Software Update
This update contains improvements and bug fixes, including:
■Improves reliability of using HDR option for photos taken using the Lock Screen shortcut
■Addresses bugs that could prevent the new iPad from switching between 2G and 3G networks
■Fixes bugs that affected AirPlay video playback in some circumstances
■Improved reliability for syncing Safari bookmarks and Reading List
■Fixes an issue where 'Unable to purchase' alert could be displayed after successful purchase

You get all those fixes, plus a jailbreak. Might as well update to 5.1.1. Its a win win situation.

Comment

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I'm doing it for photo stream and pod2g said better battery management. I've already restored to 5.0.1 using redsn0w twice in the past week just for the hell of it so I don't mind doing it again in a few days :p

Also iPhoto only works on 5.1 or above. I tried changing my iOS version in the plist file but then it meant certain tweaks on cydia wouldn't install on my phone since it's 5.1.

Comment

HickDead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2011
Also iPhoto only works on 5.1 or above. I tried changing my iOS version in the plist file but then it meant certain tweaks on cydia wouldn't be on my phone since it's 5.1.
Before installing any apps/tweaks, is there a way to check if they are compatible with 5.1.1? Does Cydia inform you of this or not?

Comment

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Before installing any apps/tweaks, is there a way to check if they are compatible with 5.1.1? Does Cydia inform you of this or not?
I tried that a long time ago so I can't remember but I think as soon as the tweaks page is done loading it gives you a warning saying it's incompatible with your version.

Comment

HickDead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2011
I tried that a long time ago so I can't remember but I think as soon as the tweaks page is done loading it gives you a warning saying it's incompatible with your version.
Thanks bud.

Comment

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Thanks bud.
I felt bad for not giving enough info so I went back and changed my version to 5.1 here /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist

but now I need the name of a tweak we know doesn't work on 5.1 so I can see what I get when I try to install it :p

Comment

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
My battery seems to be fine and not really crazy about those minor improvements with 5.1.1
I might stay at 5.0.1, everything runs fine the way it is right now.
Juice, I'll bet when pod2g's untethered is released, the "darkside" of 5.1.1 will "pull you in". :D

I'll be there and save some room for you ! :cool:

Comment

seanwebb68

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2010
I have run 5.1.1 non jailbroken and 5.0.1 jailbroken and i did't notice any different in battery life so now i'm downgraded to 5.0.1 i don't think i'll be in a hurry to upgrade.

Comment

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
My only apprehension about updating to 5.1 or 5.1.1 from 5.0.1 would be that I would lose Spire, unless there is a different Siri program that can use with IMZDL's Proxy servers?

Comment

sponch

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2011
Battery life isn't better on my 4s with 5.1.1 compared to 5.0.1
Huuuuu this is so bad without jb ...... Just thinking about going back to 5.0.1 ..

Comment

ZCherub

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
GA, USA
Not entirely. Even when apps/tweaks are compatible, there is a red "Warning about 5.1" box that loads up. It's just a generic "don't update" warning. I have installed several tweaks that had this on the screen and am running them without issue.

The best option is to check the revision history towards the bottom of the page and see if the author mentions anything about "updating/optimizing for 5.1 / 5.1.1". If this is done, then you're most likely safe. I've even gone so far as to email an author to double check before installing.

Comment

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Not entirely. Even when apps/tweaks are compatible, there is a red "Warning about 5.1" box that loads up. It's just a generic "don't update" warning. I have installed several tweaks that had this on the screen and am running them without issue.

The best option is to check the revision history towards the bottom of the page and see if the author mentions anything about "updating/optimizing for 5.1 / 5.1.1". If this is done, then you're most likely safe. I've even gone so far as to email an author to double check before installing.
I know about that warning but I tried this before that warning showed up on all apps/tweaks and I still got an error saying it's not compatible with 5.1 for specific tweaks (can't remember which).

Comment

brsboarder

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2004
I just upgraded my 4s from jailbroken 5.0.1 to 5.1.1 and the battery life seems definitely improved for me. And knowing I'll have a JB in another several days I'm happy with my decision, although you might as well wait till they release the JB. I just knew I would instantly JB and wanted to test the battery life before

Comment

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I just upgraded my 4s from jailbroken 5.0.1 to 5.1.1 and the battery life seems definitely improved for me. And knowing I'll have a JB in another several days I'm happy with my decision, although you might as well wait till they release the JB. I just knew I would instantly JB and wanted to test the battery life before
I was going to do that but while 5.1.1 was downloading I unplugged my phone :p

Comment

HickDead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2011
I was going to do that but while 5.1.1 was downloading I unplugged my phone :p
Better to wait until the official 5.1.1 JB is out before upgrading anything. Even though it looks very promising and almost a go.....it's better to be safe than sorry!

I usually wait a couple of weeks anyhow and let the "guinea pigs" test it out and make sure there are no bugs/hiccups before I jump in head first. :D

Comment

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Better to wait until the official 5.1.1 JB is out before upgrading anything. Even though it looks very promising and almost a go.....it's better to be safe than sorry!

I usually wait a couple of weeks anyhow and let the "guinea pigs" test it out and make sure there are no bugs/hiccups before I jump in head first. :D
I think we've basically been given the green light when pod2g said a few more days now but I guess you're right. We could always restore to 5.0.1 though :p

Doesn't matter either way. I don't wanna go a few days without being jailbroken.

Comment

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
A couple weeks? You know if there are bugs in a couple hours.

Comment