Any advantage going from 5.0.1 to 5.1.1?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Grolubao, May 21, 2012.

1. Grolubao macrumors 65816

Grolubao

I have an iPhone 4 GSM jailbroken with 5.0.1. Is there any good advantage of updating to 5.1.1?

2. nfl46 macrumors 603

About iOS 5.1 Software Update
    This update contains improvements and bug fixes, including:
    ■Japanese language support for Siri (availability may be limited during initial rollout)
    ■Photos can now be deleted from Photo Stream
    ■Camera shortcut now always visible on Lock Screen for iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and iPod touch (4th generation)
    ■Camera face detection now highlights all detected faces
    ■Redesigned Camera app for iPad
    ■Genius Mixes and Genius playlists for iTunes Match subscribers
    ■Audio for TV shows and movies on iPad optimized to sound louder and clearer
    ■Podcast controls for playback speed and a 30 second rewind for iPad
    ■Updated AT&T network indicator
    ■Addresses bugs affecting battery life
    ■Fixes an issue that occasionally caused audio to drop for outgoing calls

About iOS 5.1.1 Software Update
    This update contains improvements and bug fixes, including:
    ■Improves reliability of using HDR option for photos taken using the Lock Screen shortcut
    ■Addresses bugs that could prevent the new iPad from switching between 2G and 3G networks
    ■Fixes bugs that affected AirPlay video playback in some circumstances
    ■Improved reliability for syncing Safari bookmarks and Reading List
    ■Fixes an issue where 'Unable to purchase' alert could be displayed after successful purchase

You get all those fixes, plus a jailbreak. Might as well update to 5.1.1. Its a win win situation.

3. ACardAttack macrumors 6502

ACardAttack

pod2g said battery management is a lot better

4. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I'm doing it for photo stream and pod2g said better battery management. I've already restored to 5.0.1 using redsn0w twice in the past week just for the hell of it so I don't mind doing it again in a few days :p

Also iPhoto only works on 5.1 or above. I tried changing my iOS version in the plist file but then it meant certain tweaks on cydia wouldn't install on my phone since it's 5.1.

5. HickDead macrumors 6502a

HickDead

Before installing any apps/tweaks, is there a way to check if they are compatible with 5.1.1? Does Cydia inform you of this or not?

6. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I tried that a long time ago so I can't remember but I think as soon as the tweaks page is done loading it gives you a warning saying it's incompatible with your version.

7. HickDead macrumors 6502a

HickDead

Thanks bud.

8. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I felt bad for not giving enough info so I went back and changed my version to 5.1 here /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist

but now I need the name of a tweak we know doesn't work on 5.1 so I can see what I get when I try to install it :p

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

My battery seems to be fine and not really crazy about those minor improvements with 5.1.1
    I might stay at 5.0.1, everything runs fine the way it is right now.

10. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Juice, I'll bet when pod2g's untethered is released, the "darkside" of 5.1.1 will "pull you in". :D

I'll be there and save some room for you ! :cool:

11. seanwebb68 macrumors 6502

I have run 5.1.1 non jailbroken and 5.0.1 jailbroken and i did't notice any different in battery life so now i'm downgraded to 5.0.1 i don't think i'll be in a hurry to upgrade.

12. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

My only apprehension about updating to 5.1 or 5.1.1 from 5.0.1 would be that I would lose Spire, unless there is a different Siri program that can use with IMZDL's Proxy servers?

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Your probably right.
    Just gotta spend some time reinstalling and syncing stuff back.

14. sponch macrumors member

Battery life isn't better on my 4s with 5.1.1 compared to 5.0.1
    Huuuuu this is so bad without jb ...... Just thinking about going back to 5.0.1 ..

15. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Not entirely. Even when apps/tweaks are compatible, there is a red "Warning about 5.1" box that loads up. It's just a generic "don't update" warning. I have installed several tweaks that had this on the screen and am running them without issue.

The best option is to check the revision history towards the bottom of the page and see if the author mentions anything about "updating/optimizing for 5.1 / 5.1.1". If this is done, then you're most likely safe. I've even gone so far as to email an author to double check before installing.

16. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I know about that warning but I tried this before that warning showed up on all apps/tweaks and I still got an error saying it's not compatible with 5.1 for specific tweaks (can't remember which).

17. brsboarder macrumors 6502a

I just upgraded my 4s from jailbroken 5.0.1 to 5.1.1 and the battery life seems definitely improved for me. And knowing I'll have a JB in another several days I'm happy with my decision, although you might as well wait till they release the JB. I just knew I would instantly JB and wanted to test the battery life before

18. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I was going to do that but while 5.1.1 was downloading I unplugged my phone :p

19. HickDead macrumors 6502a

HickDead

Better to wait until the official 5.1.1 JB is out before upgrading anything. Even though it looks very promising and almost a go.....it's better to be safe than sorry!

I usually wait a couple of weeks anyhow and let the "guinea pigs" test it out and make sure there are no bugs/hiccups before I jump in head first. :D

20. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I think we've basically been given the green light when pod2g said a few more days now but I guess you're right. We could always restore to 5.0.1 though :p

Doesn't matter either way. I don't wanna go a few days without being jailbroken.

21. kodeman53 macrumors 65816

A couple weeks? You know if there are bugs in a couple hours.

22. Jedii macrumors regular

Apple said it was better in 4.3.3, 5.0 5.0.1

I gave up caring about battery life and dock my phone all day, sad i know but i have a very good battery life! :D

23. ACardAttack macrumors 6502

ACardAttack

I'll take podg2's statement over Apples

24. Diversion macrumors 6502a

Diversion

My battery life is night and day from 5.0.1 to 5.1.1.

25. ivinz Suspended