Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ratzzo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2011
Madrid
I'm guessing you didn't really mean that how it came out, but just for clarity -- It has everything to do with the hard drive actually. When a program needs more memory and it runs out of physical RAM, it uses the hard drive as virtual RAM (page file) which is much slower to access than physical ram and that is why the program "won't run as smooth."

Yeah I know, I meant if you have enough RAM you won't be using the hard drive as virtual RAM :)

Amnesiac1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
Quite easily.

Last time I checked it was a cover plate held on by 3 screws to access the memory slots. And yes you can do this with the system standing up on a desk. It's all what you feel comfortable with. You still want to unplug the power cord before you do this. Also after you get the memory just in to the slot but not all the way in, you can put one hand on the top edge of the screen while you push up with the other to firmly seat the memory.

This is what I did about a year ago. No issues.

Again it's what one feels comfortable doing.

Oh, awesome. So, you actually tried the method I mentioned (i.e., not laying it screen first on a soft bed sheet or something comparable but leaving it on your desk and going below to unscrew and install)? Good to know that it worked for you.

Badger^2

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2009
Sacramento
Sheesh, the glass isnt made of rice paper. Its actually fairly thick.

Lay down a towel/blanket, Flip it over, install ram, flip it back. Done.

Trying to hold the top while pushing in the ram from the bottom sounds 10X more difficult and an easy way to tip it over. Now its a 2 person job.

Ive changed the ram in a dozen + AL iMacs, 5 minutes max, including restart.

Amnesiac1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
Sheesh, the glass isnt made of rice paper. Its actually fairly thick.

Lay down a towel/blanket, Flip it over, install ram, flip it back. Done.

Trying to hold the top while pushing in the ram from the bottom sounds 10X more difficult and an easy way to tip it over. Now its a 2 person job.

Ive changed the ram in a dozen + AL iMacs, 5 minutes max, including restart.

I see your point but I've always seen this as a two person job, either way. I guess I'm just that nervous/careful. I'll probably have someone hold the iMac from the top while I install the RAM from the bottom instead of potentially compromising the screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.