Any advantage to ordering through Apple.com instead of in a store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yhellotharsir, Jul 28, 2010.

1. yhellotharsir macrumors member

My local Apple store is about 2 hours away so it's kind of a hassle, I really am willing to wait the 2-3 weeks for Apple.com delivery.

Any advantages to a store pickup?

2. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

The only difference I could think of is the obvious ones, which is walking out with a phone the same day (assuming they have em) and activating it in store, which also means briefly inspecting the phone to see if it has any issues etc.

3. Steveo47 macrumors regular

Meh only difference is waiting for it to be shipped. No price different ect. But when i get it from the apple store im gonna make it very clear i do NOT want them to open it or show me how to turn it on or some ******** like that. i want to be able to pull that shrink wrap off myself and bask in the glory of the unboxing.

4. ngrimes-2010 macrumors regular

If you're in the US order from AT&T instead of Apple. Somehow it seems that they are shipping much faster.

You looking at a 16 or a 32? 16's seem to take forever no matter where you get one...

5. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

6. ngrimes-2010 macrumors regular

When I got mine on launch day at the Apple store the guy was really cool. He handed me his pocket knife and let me unbox it myself :)

7. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

Unless you're buying for the full unsubsidized price chances are you will not be able to leave with the phone unopened. Unless you get a really awesome employee, but every employee I've ever dealt with dealing with the iPhone said it's policy, since I was upgrading, that they activate it in store.

8. Steveo47 macrumors regular

No im paying the full price from the apple store. Noone will be opening my phnone buy me!

9. hryan4740 macrumors regular

hryan4740

I second the ordering from AT&T, especially if you're wanting a 32. I ordered last Friday (7/23) and came off of backorder this afternoon, which means shipping either tonight or tomorrow. Apple still says shipping in 3 weeks, but I don't know if they're getting them out sooner than that.

10. pbateman macrumors 6502

One thing to notice is that if you want to return/exchange you have to return it to the same place you got it from, I got it from apple.com and had to return it to them that way, could not return/exchange at the apple store.

11. playaproved macrumors 6502

I'll third this idea... I ordered 2 32GB phone Friday morning after they announced the delay on the white. My phones are coming tomorrow. Way less than three weeks.

12. wwjbd24 macrumors member

i just felt more comfortable in there with them, even setting up mobileme and having them just look it over.
    however on my phone they actually messed up entering the number from another carrier (human error) and i had to wait an hour and get a new sim (free of charge though)

13. Stein357 macrumors 6502

Looks like I should have order mine through AT&T.... FFFFUUUU

14. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Kind of funny because around here there are a ton of 16s in stock (Best Buy has a bunch) and I can't find a 32 anywhere.

15. ngrimes-2010 macrumors regular

Yesirrrr

16. ateganda29 macrumors member

if you buy at best buy via the upgrade policy, do they open the box and activate it for you or can you take it home sealed and do your own activation?