Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deeve

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 20, 2012
I am curious if there is any advantages or disadvantages between using a current Gen AirPort Extreme with a HDD attached for Time Machine backups verses a Time Capsule?

neilmacd

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2010
UK
If you're wired to the time capsule, you'll get faster transfer speeds to the internal disk compared to the external USB of the AirPort Extreme.

But there's obviously more cost involved in the time capsule.

Have a read of the 5th gen Andandtech Review. It's obviously not this gen, but it'll be comparative.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
The Time Capsule is more robust for file sharing and time machine, especially for multiple drives. If you only have one drive, not so much of an issue, but it has only been recently Apple approved the newest APExtreme for time machine backups. The internal TC drive saves space. Wireless performance of the new generation seem to be about the same. The TC will get a bit warmer doing both TimeMach backups and wireless.

So the biggest advantage in a Time Capsule is that everything is in one box (and the HD cost doesn't seem as far out of line as previous versions).

There are many more advantages if you are buying previous versions.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
I personally prefer to keep the HDD separate from the Airport therefore it can be replaced or upgraded independently.
I have the Extreme AC with a WD MyCloud and I couldn't be happier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.