Any Advantage to Unlock my Verizon Iphone?

jaybar

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
Hi

The contract is up on one of our phones (iPhone 5). We are currently on Verizon. We are on the more of Everything plan. We have two iphones, 3 iPads and a dumb phone for my mom. We are currently paying $231 for 4GB of shared data.

Is there any advantage to unlocking the iPhone that is not under contract?

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
Hi

The contract is up on one of our phones (iPhone 5). We are currently on Verizon. We are on the more of Everything plan. We have two iphones, 3 iPads and a dumb phone for my mom. We are currently paying $231 for 4GB of shared data.

Is there any advantage to unlocking the iPhone that is not under contract?
It's already unlocked

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68030
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Yeah, all iPhone 5 models for Verizon are unlocked. When I say 5 models, I'm taking the 5, 5s and 5c.

If you decide to switch, just know that the Verizon iPhone 5s (plural, not the model) will only do Verizon LTE. They do not have the radios that work on other LTE networks like AT&T and TMo. The Verizon 5s (the model) does support most LTE bands, so it will work on all major LTE connection in the US. I believe the 5c does too.

The reason they come factory unlocked are thanks to the FCC. See, the bands Verizon uses for LTE are covered under an FCC rule where all the phones operating under these bands must be unlocked or the carrier would be charged a penalty.