Any advantage to upgrading old linksys wrt54g?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Shivetya, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Shivetya macrumors 65816

To something like a Airport Extreme? I am using an iPad2 and first gen i5 iMac. Also have a Dell laptop from work at home. Connected to a Comcast modem (10 down 1 up)

Have had the Linksys for ages but was wondering if I am limiting my connection somehow by not having upgraded to newer tech

2. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

The wrt54g is a great router. I have used and owned several. There are a few limitations compared to a more modern design. Honestly, at this point I'd say yes. The wired and wireless section of that router is pretty limited, compared to an Airport Extreme.

I retired mine to an older friend of mine since he needed to network two desktop computers together. He never uses the wireless at all, lol. But that thing is still going strong.

3. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

Yes, the throughput of the more modern routers will be much faster provided you have a recent wireless network card. For example, if your devices have n networking cards then you'll see performance gains as your current router only supports the g standard. If your devices uses b networking cards then you won't really realize any performance improvements with a modern router.