Any advantage to waiting for an "Unlocked" iPhone 5S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Starfyre, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Starfyre macrumors 68000

Starfyre

In the past, it always takes a long while for an "Unlocked" iPhone to come out that could be used with other carriers besides AT&T and Verizon. Is any advantage to doing this with the iPhone 5S this time around? If I do not want to purchase a contract with the iPhone 5S, is this still possible without an unlocked phone?

2. walmartmartyr macrumors 6502

what are you talking about, phones off apple.com are unlocked for any carrier. that's why you pay full retail.

3. johnparjr macrumors 6502a

johnparjr

This year should be different as now T-Mobile is in the mix and those are unlocked

4. Chocolatemilty macrumors 6502a

Truly, we're not sure exactly how Apple will break down availability with the different SKUs. Now, T-Mobile, another GSM carrier, is in the mix at launch as well as a full year of manufacturing under this design. As we remember, last year there were some problems with ramping up production with the iPhone 5 that saw Apple delay availability of the unlocked iPhone 5. This year, only time will tell about availability for the 5S.

5. FlyUnlock.com macrumors member

FlyUnlock.com

I would prefer a contract with ATT as you can easily get it unlocked for prices around $1
    ... and you do not have to wait till Apple releases an unlocked version

IMHO ...

6. CEmajr macrumors 601

The Tmobile iPhones are not unlocked.

7. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I believe last year it took a few weeks only. They will supply carriers first. They won't have a huge stock this year based on manufacturing rumors so it should be more or less like last year.

8. pmau macrumors 65816

I live in europe and only buy unlocked phones from Apple.

The experience with carriers and locked phones has led me to believe that it's better to pay extra and don't care.

It has to noted that if you are on a contract without a phone, you a probably paying for other customers' subsidized phones.

9. johnparjr macrumors 6502a

johnparjr

Depends on what plan you have so yes they are when I buy mine it is

10. toxic macrumors 68000

in general, T-Mobile phones are full price but not unlocked. you can call CS afterwards to unlock it, but they require you to use the phone you're getting unlocked for a month, or something like that.

with iPhones it might be different depending on where you buy. in the Apple website, TMo phones are under "unlocked," so obviously it's unlocked if you buy through Apple. it's probably locked if you buy directly through TMo.

since Apple usually doesn't make unlocked phones available for a couple months, no one can say how they'll do it this time, since TMo wasn't an official carrier until after the unlocked 5 came out. my guess is it will be locked to all carriers this time.

11. FlyUnlock.com macrumors member

FlyUnlock.com

Soon all phones will be unlocked in Europe. I think that this is one of the goals of the EU.