Any Advantages in buying from Apple Directly

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by md63, Jun 11, 2007.

1. md63 macrumors 6502

I was wondering if there are any advantages of buying a MBP from Apple directly instead of an internet retailer such as Amazon or Macmall? Will I get the same service? I notice that some people who have had real issues with their new purchases have been able to get replacement machines at an Apple Store. I assumed this is where they purchased them from, however, what about if I buy from Amazon? I ask because the sales tax on a new MBP will run about $175 so I would rather purchase on line.

Thanks

2. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I don't think there's a major advantage besides gettin' it quicker at the store, and being able to return it to the store if it is faulty. I've always bougt from the Apple store or online store.

3. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

with edu discount + ipod + printer, the Apple store ends up being a better deal.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

It may be easier to make returns if there are dead pixels or other problems, short of an outright DOA. If you buy from a reseller like Amazon, Apple will refer you to them for 'customer satisfaction' issues. In some cases the reseller will be good to deal with (more generous than Apple) in others you could get into a 3 way spitting match.

5. md63 thread starter macrumors 6502

I wish I was a student so that I could get the discount. But then I would need to go to class again and after undergrad and graduate school, I am done with that.

I'm primarily concerned about some significant issue, such as problem screen, where a replacement machine is the most appropriate route. It seems an Apple store will replace a machine if you purchase it direct. If I buy it from Amazon, I understand I can go to an Apple Store for service, however, would they replace the machine if it was an obvious defect or would they tell me to go back to Amazon?

Thanks

6. md63 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. I guess that was the answer that I was looking for.

7. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Well if you buy online, they never verify if you actually goto school. I just enter my school, and they gave me the discount. I assume that goes for anybody. But I guess it's wrong if you really don't go to school.