ANY advantages to Apple RAM in iMacs?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by g-boac, Jul 27, 2011.

1. g-boac macrumors 6502

Good afternoon! I'm getting ready to place an order for a BTO 27" iMac - literally within the next day if not today, the only issue I'm trying to run down is RAM. I've viewed the wealth of threads in this forum on crucial, OWC, newegg, and other aftermarket RAM sources, and the pricing is great - roughly $100 +/- 25 or so for 16GB, rather than $450 from Apple. And for every MBP I've owned, I've bought aftermarket RAM and it's worked great.

My question is this - are there ANY compelling advantages, at all, whatsoever, to ordering Apple-branded RAM with my iMac during the BTO? While I'd certainly rather save the money and go with the aftermarket, if there are quality, specification, performance, or compatibility advantages, I'd certainly consider ordering the Apple RAM up front.

thanks for any insight you guys can provide!

cheers,
    Mark

2. coolspot18 macrumors 65816

No, except that compatibility is guaranteed.

I purchased my own RAM, about 5x cheaper than going through Apple.

3. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Buy 3rd party. Apple's prices are crazy and not worth it.

The only possible disadvantage I can think of is installing it and the risk of accidental damage, but that is very unlikely if you use care.

4. simsaladimbamba

Yes, but only that it is covered by Apple.
    But as RAM is covered by the manufacturer and the store you buy it from, it is cheaper to buy it from someone else than Apple.

5. ForI macrumors newbie

Zero.

6. CHSeifert macrumors 6502

CHSeifert

Zero - NONE !!!!

7. Dnix macrumors 6502

Basically it's a rip. I'm guessing a pretty substantial number of Apple customers don't know any better. Or perhaps don't care. And this is why they continue to try and sell RAM at the prices they do...

8. stevendphoto, Jul 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011

stevendphoto macrumors member

Yeah, there can be advantages:

#1 If something goes wrong you take the computer to Apple and get it fixed, instead of taking the system apart and sending it back to a third party.

#2 You save the hassle and trouble of dissasembling your unit, screwdriver slip and put a gash in your monitor, guess what, that was your fault, not covered under Apple or the third party warranty.

#3 No waiting, the day your computer arrives it is ready to go!

#4 If you are finacing your purchase, it is all in one bill.

#5 Saved Time and for some people, time is money...

9. Dnix macrumors 6502

Removing memory from an iMac is hardly "taking the system apart".

Most third-party RAM has a lifetime warranty, too. There really isn't a reason to buy RAM from Apple, other than laziness and apathy. :rolleyes:

10. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

All you have to do take out 3 screws from the bottom plate and pull the tab to remove the RAM. There is no disassembling of the unit needed for RAM access.

If Apple repair does not have the RAM in stock they wll have to order it which means you will have to leave the iMac at least overnight.

The best suggestion I can give to anyone that wants to upgrade the RAM on their own, is keep your original RAM that way if you have to return the RAM to the vendor then you still have a usable iMac. This is what I do to be on the safe side. I put 16GB, from OWC, in the 27" iMac for $167. The quality of the RAM used by these third party vendors is quite good. Just buy from a place that has a lifetime warantee and has been in business for a few years.