Any advantages to the financing options

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by christom1174, Sep 18, 2017.

1. christom1174, Sep 18, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2017

christom1174 macrumors newbie

I have most of the money to buy an iPhone saved but was wondering if there is any good reason to buy the phone on one of the financing options ?

2. Dannehkins macrumors newbie

So do I, but I've actually decided to go with the iPhone upgrade programme this year.

It still works out cheaper if I include my sim only contract compared to getting the new phone from a network.

I personally just prefer the money to be spread out so just in case anything crops up that needs some money hand. That way, I've got it covered rather than blowing it all on an iPhone.

3. Cayden macrumors 6502a

Cayden

For me the upgrade program is perfect. I upgraded every year already and figured out the iUP was cheaper than buying at full price and then selling when the new model came out, plus you don't have to deal with selling the old phone. As an added bonus, it comes with AppleCare+ and is included in the monthly payments so you don't have to pay that upfront either

4. ashleyman macrumors member

As a business customer it keeps the money liquid to be used with other things rather than being spent all at once. I have a few things on 0% finance agreements just because it was cheaper to buy that way and put the money elsewhere to make more money.

Personally not a fan as it means there's more going out monthly and I have 'debt' but it does make a lot of sense.

5. christom1174 thread starter macrumors newbie

is the upgrade program something i would get from my current carrier AT&T

6. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

They're talking about Apple's upgrade program https://www.apple.com/shop/iphone/iphone-upgrade-program

Separately, AT&T also has a yearly and every-two-years upgrade program.

Do what's right for you, though. Not everyone cares about upgrading yearly, and you might prefer not to have the monthly payment.

7. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

8. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Interest free financing is always a plus. If you are paying interest on financing then it should be 3% of less to about break even.

9. ckurt25 macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

As was stated above, it's through Apple, not AT&T. I was on the Next plan w/ AT&T and switched to the Apple program. The big selling point for me was included Apple Care. When I switched off Next I sold my old phones and paid off my balance with AT&T.

It sounds like the upgrade process on IUP is much easier as Apple allowed those upgrading to the 8 / 8 plus to get preapproved before hand and it was just a few clicks when the preorders started.