Any Advice About Buying "No Name" Toner?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jamesmcnee, May 3, 2013.

1. jamesmcnee macrumors member

I need a new toner cartridge for my Okidata laser printer.

I can buy one new OEM cartridge or for about the same price can buy four no name, repacked, ...

How bad can they be?

Any Advice?

2. boats4chris macrumors newbie

I have not had very good luck with remanufactured. I would go with a compatible instead. I have used Lexmark, Xerox or Verbatim for my HP LaserJet 6p. Verbatim was pretty cheap and the quality was great.

I'm not sure what your options for Okidata are.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Most big companies who use volume buy non-OEM toner… and have like 100,000+ monthly duty cycles. A friend of mine manages one's IT and they decided to see if using the brand-name toner would increase printer reliability. Result: No correlation between toner and reliability.

I would fine a reputable third-party brand use that.

That said, for inkjets as I only print photos with them, I stick with the brand-name stuff.

4. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

90% of the time I've been asked to clean a laser printer at work the cartridge that caused the mess was NOT an OEM one. Most of the time I've seen imaging issues (buildup on the drum, fuser, transfer belt) there was a remanufactured toner installed.

Many firms that sell non-OEM toner just take the empties, refill them and resell them, some don't even reset the page count! Few will replace seals or the roller.

5. Jedi Master macrumors regular

Buy new

How long has it lasted?

Buy new it pays.

Regards,
    Jed

6. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I tried re-manufactured cartridges in my Xerox 6180. Had problems with it not fusing properly. Dealer replaced it twice and it still messed up. Got Xerox cartridges and it has worked perfectly. Had to do a bunch of cleaning to get the other toner out of the printer.