Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orbdrums

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2008
I'm just beginning my journey in to the Applescript world and would appreciate any advice from experienced applet developers about where to find useful tools and text books. Thanks in advance for your help.

Clark

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Okay, how about this? How do I define, store, and recall variables in Applescript?

If you follow the links I just posted, you'll find information, including the proper forum for your questions. You're asking in the wrong forum.

LtRammstein

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2006
Denver, CO
You could always Google it and see what results you can get.

I recommend going to the Apple Developer website, and look at their Applescript documentation. Gets really detailed and they use really good examples.

Denarius

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
Gironde, France
You could always Google it and see what results you can get.

I recommend going to the Apple Developer website, and look at their Applescript documentation. Gets really detailed and they use really good examples.

Also, if you open script editor it shows you the libraries of the application specific commands.

mysterytramp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Maryland
Okay, how about this? How do I define, store, and recall variables in Applescript?

Generally, all you have to do is just call the variable.

set aNumVar to 37
set aTextVar to "a string"
set aListVar to {"one item",aNumVar,aTextVar}

There are operations that want a variable declared before it's used. AS will burp and you can rewrite your code. The code, error, rewrite cycle is fast enough that I've never bothered to commit the conventions to memory.

If you need to store a variable in successive runs of a script, check out properties. They can be stored over time.

Here's a second on the Apple developer web site. The AppleScript list is very active. Questions get answered straightaway.

mt

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.