Any advice for digital art on PowerPC?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Ariii, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Ariii macrumors 6502a

Ariii

I've been wanting to use digital art programs more often, and I think I'm having a bit of trouble. I've been using Pixen right now, but it isn't very good for screentones and I'm not interested in anything over $100. I've been considering purchasing an old copy of Manga Studio.

2. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

3. kumquat macrumors regular

kumquat

You can download CS2 from Adobe's site for free. It only runs on PPCs supposedly though some say they've gotten it to work on Intels up to 10.6. I just installed it tonight and it all works just fine.

4. Ariii thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ariii

No thanks. I'm not interested in torrenting pirated software.
    It looks like a great program and I'll keep an eye out for a copy, right now it's pretty expensive on Amazon. Thanks!
    I think I'll try that out :)

5. Cox Orange, Jun 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2013

Cox Orange macrumors 68000

Does someone know, what the difference between the single versions and those that come as part of the Creative Suite download? The single downloads seem to be bigger. For example Illustrator is allready there, when you install the Suite, but it is listed single, too. When I download the Image of Illustrator it is bigger than the already installed Illustrator folder in the Creative Suite folder.

PS, not really "art", but there are Freehand and QuarksXpress, too. The latter being more for Book layout and that kind of stuff.

Edit: and Seashore (Image editor).
    Not wanting to spam, but here is a list of Image Editors for Mac OS X (you will have to investigate, which ones are for PowerPC) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_raster_graphics_editors#Operating_system_support

6. happyfrappy macrumors 6502

Individual downloads have a sub-folder of the extras(textures/templates) which is an optional download on the CS2 Suite. Also I'm sure they left 3rd party trialware for Illustrator & Photoshop under the extras folder too. I dug out my old Illustrator CS2 disc and the total size is fairly close.

Creative Suite 2 bundle includes VersionCue, training videos(Photoshop, Illustrator & InDesign) and extra texture packs on one of downloads--useful if you're lazy and don't want to look for your training DVD.

If you already owned Illustrator CS2 or Photoshop CS2, you already had a seperate DVD which has both Illustrator & Photoshop how-to tips. AFAIK, if you own Photoshop Elements 4 retail edition with the short lived bonus pack the how-to tips are similar to CS2 & CS3 DVD.

7. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

Wow! That is an exact answer! Thank you!

Meanwhile I discovered, that my Printer doesn't work anymore with jpeg and pdf opened in Apple's "preview", after installing "Creative Suite2". I then added the same printer as new and deleted the old (same) printer from the list, that solved it for one print.
    Now I was wondering, if it really has something to do with CS2 and gave it a try to uninstall parts. I then first uninstalled "Adobe Cue2" (uninstaller did not remove everything, so I had to manually delete the .plist and the actual Cue2 folder itself and something other). Then I repaired permissions and printing worked for printing pdf documents launched in Apple's "Preview". Jpegs are still not printed the way I choose settings before printing. I will have to do further testing, if it is really my printer not liking CS2 or something else.

I tested it under 10.4 (I know Adobe says 10.2.8-10.3.8 only). I thought it would work, since I had a single copy of PhotoshopCS2 (which had another icon colour than that in Creative Suite). I copied this from my old iMac, where I had it running under 10.2.8. It first worked nice under 10.4 (with the same license key I had on my iMac G3) on my ibook G4, but suddenly it did not work anymore. Since I did not use it a lot, I did not know, since when it was not working anymore, but I know it worked some years and than some years not until now.