Any advice for downgrading from iPhone 3G to original iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheSpaz, Jan 3, 2009.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

If I want to downgrade to my 1st gen, is there anything I need to know about doing that?

Also, if I decided to switch back to my 3G again, will I have to renew my contract again?

Basically, am I allowed to easily switch between iPhones without screwing everything up?

Anyone else experienced in dowgrading from iPhone 3G?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

if your within your first 30 days with your 3G, you can cancel your contract and go back to your first iPhone with no problem. I bought my 3G on July 11th and originally I wasn't impressed so I did the same thing, canceled and went back to my first iPhone, when I went back I had to sign up again for another 2 year contract, but right after I did the activation on iTunes I called AT&T and told them what I did, they were able to put me back on my original 2 year contract as if had never purchased the 3G, and I was re-eligible to upgrade again.

and this past November I upgraded again to the 16g iPhone 3G, no problem or hassle.

if your past your first 30 days then you will have to cancel your contract and pay the early termination fee. it's pro-rated at $175

3. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I can't just downgrade to the original iPhone plan without cancelling my current contract? Yes, I'm past my 30 days.

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

you may have to contact AT&T on that because technically you got the phone at a subsidized price (8g $199, 16g $299) if you agree to a 2 year contract over the original un-subsidized price (8g $599, 16g $699). so if you decide to go back to your first iPhone your breaking your contract agreement. so I don't know how it work and if they make you pay back to $400 difference or if just the early termination fee.

5. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I didn't pay $299 for my 3G. I paid $499 for it. I've had the 3G since September. It should be long enough to have paid it off.

6. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

the contract doesn't define that you use the iPhone 3g plan
    having an iPhone 3g does
    IF you use an iPhone 3g, you pay the $30 a month data plan

just like unlimited texting, data can be added or removed from month to month
    but having an iPhone or an iPhone 3g requires it

so yes, you can switch to the iPhone plan if you use an iPhone
    however, getting ATT to make the switch for you is most likely very difficult

7. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

If you want to keep both devices, just call up AT&T, tell them you sold your 3G, and tell them that you are using your first gen. They should switch you to the 20$ plan. Also, put your SIM card in the First gen, before you call AT&T.

8. Lucbert macrumors regular

Lucbert

Just put your Sim-Card in the 2G iPhone and sync it up with iTunes. But remember: You are paying 10$ for the 3G plan, do you really want to go back to EDGE and waste this money?

9. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

you're not paying 10$ for the 3G plan, you're paying 10$ EXTRA.

10. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I thought once you activate the original iPhone, the plan goes back to the regular $20/mo. data plan instead of the $30 required on the 3G iPhone?