Any advice for selling MBP on ebay?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thetruth1985, Feb 16, 2011.

1. thetruth1985 macrumors 6502

I have listed my MBP (i5 2.4, 500gb, 4gb 4ram) on craigslist but I keep getting hit hard by spammers and low ballers. I think I may list on ebay but I don't want to be scammed on there because I know how paypal can be. Any tips for selling on ebay? I usually only sell items worth a couple hundred bucks at most and I'm a bit worried about listing a computer that is worth at least $1500. Thanks!

2. dwhynman macrumors regular

3. newdeal macrumors 68020

just remember after it sells you owe ebay 9% and paypal 3% so you may end up ahead just selling on craigslist

4. jenzjen macrumors 68000

+1 ... your net price on eBay is probably low enough such that if you listed it on craigslist at this price, you would get a real buyer right away. I would stick to CL.

5. karsten macrumors 6502a

karsten

depends how big your CL audience is, mine is too small to sell in a reasonable amount of time unfortunately:/ could try the anandtech forums and request money order that way there's no ebay or paypal fees

6. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

7. foulmouthedleon macrumors regular

foulmouthedleon

I've sold quite a few MBP's on ebay. While you may get more from CL, I prefer the security that PayPal offers. Yes, you have to pay them and ebay a percentage of your final cost, but if you get ripped off - you're covered. Take lots of photos, provide an accurate description and you should be fine.

8. karsten macrumors 6502a

karsten

i sold a 1800 system and fees were 120 between ebay and paypal

9. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Google eBay calculator.

10. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

thanks

11. jenzjen macrumors 68000

You're the seller, right? What security do you mean? I don't see why you would prefer eBay over CL, latter of which leaves you more money in your pocket and has very little scam risk *if* you're smart, i.e. meet only in a bank, bring a counterfeit marker with you, etc.

12. FriarNurgle macrumors regular

FriarNurgle

Definitely recommend Craigslist, asking around, putting up some fliers at the local schools. I'm sure some ignorant soul will buy it given the upcoming refresh.

How much are you trying to get?

2.4GHz i5 refurbs go for about $1530 on Apple.com and they are sure to drop in the next couple of weeks with the refresh.

Good luck.

13. smallnshort247 macrumors 6502a

smallnshort247

I've always preferred Craigslist for selling my tech. I was highly considering selling my 2010 i5 MBP 15" about a month ago because I found a really good deal on Mac Pros. I ended up removing the sale off Craigslist BUT I asked $1600 for mine. That may seem like a lot considering we both technically have the same computer. I just made two upgrades to it over time. One, upgrading the RAM from 4GB to 8GB and the second upgrade was taking out the 320GB 5200rpm hard drive and putting in a 640GB 7200rpm hdd. Those two minor upgrades made my selling offer look way more attractive. I got a lot more "real" willing offers. Now that the Mac Pro deal is over, I'm just going to keep my MBP. I'm very happy w/ its performance and it still looks brand new..plus I think everyone and their mom is now expecting the new MBP's any week now, so that will knock off a large amount of resale value.

But yeah point of my rant is to maximize your machine while you're using it by upgrading the specs so that if you ever want to sell it in the future, you don't lose much in selling your MBP.

I purchased my MBP for $1788 and was able to get legit offers for $1600. I would of only lost $188 in terms of the price of the Mac that was over 8 months or so old which imo isn't too shabby. GL!

14. thetruth1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the advice guys. I was hoping to get at least 1500 for it but I ended up selling it today for 1400. I figured it's better to take a small loss now than to wait and try to sell after the refresh. I guess I can't complain because I scored a 2010 17 inch model with apple care for only $1500. This was all on craigslist of course.

15. karsten macrumors 6502a

karsten

yeah you can get some good deals on cl sometimes. congrats

16. EazyWeazy3 macrumors 6502

eBay should be a last resort. The fees on there are insane especially when dealing with items that go for a decent amount of money like your MBP should go for.

17. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I believe it is 9% of sale price with a maximum of $50. Plus Paypal fees.

18. retrorichie macrumors member

Not true. I got ripped off by someone on a $200 sale and despite all the evidence against the buyer, PayPal still ruled in their favor. I got zilch, they kept the merchandise. I was so unhappy with the entire dispute process as well... PayPal customer service was very disappointing. As a result, I will never sell anything valued over $50 on ebay anymore.

19. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I would rather toss my goods over a bridge rather than try and sell on ebay, especially high ticket items. Unless you are a power seller paying ebay's bills then you are irrelevant. God help you if they engage in a bidding war and win the higher priced item, buy it and then reverse it with one of AMEX's "no questions asked" chargeback policy.

20. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

Ebay and paypal are in favor of the buyer at all times. You can have signature on delivery via UPS and still run into issues with ebay/paypal. Craigslist is the way to go if its a possibility. I've never had problems with ebay myself, however, i only sell cheap stuff on ebay. Amazon, is a little better then ebay. However, they tend to hold your money for a much longer period of time, occasionally.