Any advice on any-surface bluetooth mouse?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by shenan1982, Dec 16, 2014.

1. shenan1982, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2014

shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

So I've had my Logitech MX Anywhere for a while. It's got their any-surface technology in it, so it's a great mouse. I'm tired of the silly Logitech Dongle, and want to switch to a mouse that uses bluetooth.

Anyone have any recommendations as to any-surface (particularly glass) mice that are bluetooth? I know Kensington has one, Microsoft too, and a few others. What do you recommend?

Requirements:

- works on glass (and any other surfaces)
    - bluetooth\no dongle.
    - used for traveling on macbook air

Thanks!

2. yodudears7 macrumors newbie

yodudears7

I haven't really tried the Apple Magic Mouse on glass before, but if you want to take the leap, go out and get one. If it doesn't just return it.

Otherwise I actually like Logitech mice. I have one on my iMac, and even when its on my MBP, its so tiny that it doesn't bother me (unless its one of the older logitech mice with the mile long receiver)

And if all else fails, find yourself one of those classic ball mouse that use that small rubber ball instead of a laser.

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I switched from a Razor Orochi to an MX Anywhere. I'm not a fan of the dongle but the Orochi had stuttering issues with BT4.0 devices. I never liked the non tactile feel of Apple's magic mouse.

The MX Anywhere is a great mouse, far more responsive than any Bluetooth mouse I've ever tried and you don't notice it sleeping.

PS None of the Mad Catz Bluetooth mice are compatible with the built in Apple BT4.0, you need to use their BT dongle (go figure)

4. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I love my MX Anywhere mouse. Since I have my dongle plugged into a USB hub, and the fact I'm using a Logitech K750 keyboard on the same dongle, it doesn't bother me at all. That being said, I've always had problems with bluetooth disconnecting on my 2007 and 2011 Mac Minis.

5. xav8tor macrumors 6502a

Waiting for a render to finish, I decided to try it for you. The Apple BT MM worked for me on fabric, leather, wood, laminate, and glass. It even worked on aluminum. The only thing it did not work on was the screen of my iPad...with a Zagg screen protector on it of course!

6. shenan1982 thread starter macrumors 68040

shenan1982

The apple mouse is spotty at best on glasss. I have 2 for other computers and it doesn't work well on dark glass or reflective surfaces. That's why I'm using the MX.

Anyone use the MS or Kensington all surface mice?

7. shenan1982 thread starter macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Don't get me wrong, love the performance of the MX Anywhere, I just wish I could find the same or similar mouse that's bluetooth NOT USB dongle.

Doesn't seem to exist.

8. Alrescha macrumors 68020

Are you hard set on a mouse? I use the Apple trackpad, and I find it very good. I guarantee it works on any surface :)

If I were gaming, I would have to switch to a conventional mouse.

A.

9. shenan1982 thread starter macrumors 68040

shenan1982

HAHA, that's a bizarre response. Why would I use the Apple Trackpad when the Macbook Air has a trackpad built in? If I was satisfied with a trackpad, I'd use the one built in, hehe

10. Alrescha macrumors 68020

...and you mentioned that you were using a Macbook exactly where?

A.

11. shenan1982 thread starter macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Oh haha I thought that went without saying since the MX Anywhere is a travel mouse... and why would I be complaining about a dongle sticking out the side of a desktop computer?

12. Alrescha macrumors 68020

You said you were tired of it. You did not say why. Somehow, apparently, the readers of this forum were to magically understand exactly what problem you were trying to solve - without you actually telling anyone what it was.

Sorry if I disappointed you. I assure you, it will not happen again.

A.

13. shenan1982 thread starter macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Forgiven ;-)

----------

A rubber ball mouse is awful... I was at a hotel and went to a business center and they had one of those.... just needed to print a document. I hadn't used a computer with a rubber ball mouse in ten years. It felt horrible. The precision and tracking was awful.

The Apple mouse is a fantastic mouse. I use it at home on a wood surface, however I've tried to take it with me when traveling, and it doesn't do well with glass or white colored\reflective surfaces. Dunno why Apple isn't better at this.... but then again they haven't updated their mouse in years.

14. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

If someone posts a Bluetooth mouse that's equal or better than an MX Anywhere, I'll buy one. The two best mice I tried that didn't work properly on BT4 are the Razor Orochi, RAT M, MOUS 9 (Bluetooth versions, sans dongle).