Any advice on capacity remorse?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by apple.pseudofan, Apr 17, 2011.

1. apple.pseudofan macrumors regular

I was a bit torn between the 16 and 32 but snagged the 16 because it was available. Thought it was going to be fine, just really use it for surfing, a few aps, email, etc. Had only about half of it filled and then bought the camera connection kit...
    Instant capacity remorse. Overfilled it immediately with iPhone videos of my son and had to pick and choose. I love the interface of iMovie on it and it is perfect for the iPhone video editing and facebook/youtube uploading. I do my HD editing on the MBP but it just isn't clean to try to mix clips from a camcorder and the iPhone.

Anyhow, I have significant backlight bleeding and I was going to swap it out when stocks returned to a normal level but now want a 32gig.

Any suggestions for getting there? Try to sell mine now for close to retail and just buy the 32? Thoughts? Thanks for the help.

2. physicsguy13 macrumors 6502

physicsguy13

Can you still return it? I always try to buy the most storage available just in case I end up needing it.

3. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

One of the problems with the new iPad owners is they find their uses for them change once they get their hands on them and start using apps. That's a fairly common occurrence. If they'll let you exchange it, see if you can step up to a bigger model. If not, sell the replacement as 'new in box' and recoup your investment that way.

4. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

If your going to return it for the backlight bleeding and the Genius decides that it needs to be replaced then ask if you can pay the extra to upgrade your replacement to the 32GB model.

5. blackwind macrumors regular

It really depents on what apps u going to have on it...
    All the good apps (games) are big....

Like the GarageBand 300mb+, videos, photo, songs, and ipad2 camera can record video there u need storage...

Yep I alway tend to buy the biggest (u can afford)......

64wifi for me

6. Mr.C macrumors 601

Replacements under warranty are always for the identical product. They won't let you upgrade and pay the difference. I tried this with one of my earlier iPhones and wasn't able to.

7. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I can confirm that. I broke an iPhone 4 and asked when I went to replace it, since I was paying for a whole new phone, if I could upgrade to the 32 GB and pay extra. Nothing doing--they said since I was getting at the contract price of $199 that I had to stick with 16 GB.

8. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

You know, you can offload your photos into MobileMe Galleries. If you have iPhoto and MobileMe it works great - plus it works on Mac, Windows, and lets your family members view the albums at will.

Dropbox works great too, and handles photos very well. It's a good alternative if you manage your photos in nested directories and don't have iPhoto.

I think iOS 5 and Apple's new "secret" cloud service will make capacity much less of an issue. Device storage will be more of a "working" cache of recently used (and favorite) items.

If you're still stuck, you are probably better off trying to sell the iPad 16GB to a friend or family member at a discount, then buying a 32GB model. I don't think Apple will "return/swap" for different models. If the backlight problem is serious though, take care of that first.

9. JeffMorse macrumors regular

Check out AirVideo. It'll allow you to use your home pc as a video server. This won't help you with editing, but will allow you access to all your videos.

10. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

there's a difference between actually getting a whole new phone (5-700?) and paying 200 for a replacement phone.

11. yodaxl7 macrumors 6502a

Maybe you could use some cloud solutions for the videos like drop box.

12. lionqueen macrumors 6502

If it's too late to return it, then yeah, just sell it- you should be able to get a decent price- and buy a new one. Oh, and get a 64 gig ;). I was going to get a 32 gig but all they had was 64 left so I took it, and I'm sooo glad I did. Space gets taken up fast with the OS, apps, pics, movies, ect. You won't regret it :)

13. Roadking macrumors 6502

Get the 64 when you upgrade or you will be reposting this thread again with the same woes...

14. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

Two bits of crucial info before we can advise you: was this bought from Apple and was it less than two weeks ago?

If yes and yes, you're laughing. If not, you're probably screwed and will need to resell.

Having said that, I had the same thing with iPad 1 and immediately wanted to bump to 64. I was all ready to get it packaged up to send back to Apple for a full refund, but got an offer to buy at full purchase price from a friend, so I didn't have to.

15. apple.pseudofan thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all of the input, I appreciate it.

I bought it on Mar.18, so I am out of my 2 week period, but it was purchased at an Apple store (though that doesn't much matter).

I think I have settled on returning for a replacement, evaluating the resale market and if I can do it without much of a hit, I'll sell and upgrade. I'm not willing to lose 50-100 dollars though, so if the market is that soft, I'll manage with the 16gig.

16. chiefpavvy macrumors 6502a

Maybe I'm in the minority but the 16GB is always more than enough for me. I'm heavily vested in the cloud though. I do have all my photos/videos on MobileMe, the Gallery app is pretty good. (It needs to get AirPlay support though.) Combined with Dropbox for pretty much everything and anything else, I don't find the need for more than a few GB of local storage. I routinely have 10GB or more free, and I have several very large games/apps on there as well.

17. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Hopefully for the OP, this won't be an issue, as there's no subsidising and contracts to deal with here.

18. MrMac'n'Cheese macrumors 6502a

MrMac'n'Cheese

If possible, and you can spare the extra 100USD over the 32GB, go 64 like me, that way you will have no more remorse/regrets!

19. AceCoolie macrumors regular

I never had an iPad so I got a 16GB wifi when the iPad2 was announced. It was a fine toy and I enjoyed it. Then, one day, I walked into Walmart and they had a black iPad2 64GB wifi. Since I knew they were hard to get, I bought it thinking I would resell it and make a few bucks. Well, while it was up on craigslist, my curiosity got the best of me and I decided to open it and test it out. While it wasn't night and day better than my original, for some apps like ShutterSnitch, the difference was enough so I decided to keep it.

My only regret is that I didn't need the 64GB. I would be happy with 16. Oh well. :) It will just be worth that much more when the next one comes out with the Retna display.

20. dacalo macrumors member

I got a 32GB iPad 2 and last night I had to delete some movies/apps to make more room, now I have about 6 GB left. If I had to do it over, I would have picked up a 64GB.

21. solaris7 macrumors regular

When it comes to stuff like this:

Go big or go home :)

(Owner of a 64GB 3G+WIFI iPad 2)

22. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

couldn't agree more. had the 32 in the first gen. it wasn't enough even then. and that is with extensive use of air video, et al.

23. bmwsport macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Another is external storage such as hypermac. Data transfer speeds are decent too.

24. Kupp macrumors regular

I have a 16 gb iphone 4 I barely ever use up half the space on. I bought a 32 Gb ipad 2 just to be on the safe side. If I actually fill that up I will just have to delete stuff. I use air video and my ipad is wifi only.

By the time I fill ut up, if I ever do, the 3rd or 4th gen will probally be out.

25. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

Had the same dilemma with my first iPad. Got the 16 GB 3G thinking I would be needing maps and WWAN access everywhere but found that isn't really the case. Especially with the latest games hitting the 800 MB - 1 GB mark. When i got the 2nd one I made sure I got the 32 GB Wifi - I have MyWi when I really need on the go internet.