Any Airport Extreme rumors?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Paco II, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Paco II macrumors 65816

My lovely 5th gen seems to be dying a slow death. Restoring it no longer resolves issues for very long. Any rumors on a new AE coming out? Timing seems bad to buy current model, which is like two years old now.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I would assume we may see something after 802.11AD becomes more popular, as it stands only one maker rolled out a 802.11ad router during CES, so I'm assuming we'll not see anything for at least a year.

3. robgendreau macrumors 68030

A good reason to buy from another manufacturer. You'll probably save money too, and be free of Airport Utility.

4. Paco II thread starter macrumors 65816

I actually have no issues using Airport Utility. I did look at the Google routers, but it appears to be lacking a guest network, which I need.

5. flynnst0ne macrumors regular

I'm going through the exact same issue with mine right now too...At least I think it's dying? Resets and channel changes haven't helped. It frequently times out on websites and crawls to a snails pace

6. MorphMan macrumors member

Weird. I have a very old Airport Express doing the same thing.

7. poematik13 macrumors 6502a

airport utility is miles ahead (in terms of user friendliness) of any other awful web-based admin system for routers of other brands.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I'll disagree with you there. I have had Apple routers and used Airport Utility for years and a couple weeks ago got an Asus router. The web interface to configure the Asus is far easier that Airport Utility. I think your statement would have been true maybe a few years ago, but not so much any more. The web interfaces on newer routers have come a long way.

9. poematik13 macrumors 6502a

I posted in this thread because today I set up a new time capsule in my room. Within 5 minutes, I had 4 devices (some apple, some sony) connected and the desktop backing up with no hassle, all from an app on my iPhone.

Nobody else comes close to this kind of setup efficiency.

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You don't have to agree with me of course, but I have used both and at least for the new Asus router I just bought and configured the basic setup was faster and easier than Airport Utility. Some advanced settings such as assigning a DHCP reservation are far far faster and easier on the Asus web browser interface than Airport Utility. Trying to setup a DHCP reservation in Airport Utility is ridiculously convoluted.

11. garyleecn macrumors 6502a

At this point, full 3*3 AC is still not very common, only high end products use it. I assume the next gen will be out after full 3*3 AC is very usual and popular.
    Also even 3*3 AC can achieve >90m/s in good times, it's pretty much on par with gigabit Ethernet. An upgrade will do nothing but improve wireless-wireless transmission. Which I don't think is very helpful for most people. 60-70m/s average speed is more than enough for most situations

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Actually that's not the case anymore or and many router makers even have an iOS (I would assume android as well) to configure the router.

13. poematik13 macrumors 6502a

And that's almost directly because Apple did it first with Airport Utility

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No argument, but other makers that offer a superior product also provide a setup process that rivals Apple's.

Don't get me wrong, I own a 802.11AC Apple Airport Extreme, but there are other routers that offer more features, and performance.