Any Alternatives to MobileMe?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by zaku, Jan 28, 2009.

1. zaku macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I decided to completely switch to Mac products: I bought

- iPod Touch 2G, 32GB
    - MacBook Pro 2.53GHz, 15"
    - iMack 3.06GHz 24 "

I find very interesting the way to synchronize my agenda/calendar, e-mail, tasks. Especially because in the office we work with Windows XP and MS Office, and I can't syncronize my private agenda with my iPod (we are not allowed to synchronize with any PAD or iPod) and often I have "collisions" with my private life and my work in the office.

Even withe MobileMe or another solution I would be not able to merge outlook calendar with my apple hardware, however I could be synchronized anywhere with my private life - even when I'm in the office.

I find the idea behind MobileMe very good, however:

- I do not want to have an additional e-mail account
    - I like very much Thunderbird and the possibility to add plugins/add-ons to it (also Firefox).

My question is:

Is it possibile to keep synchronized my agenda, calendar, my gmail-accounts and tasks on my iPod, MacBook Pro and iMac with Thunderbird (via WI-FI)?

Or do I really have to switch to MobileMe?

Thank you for you answers,
    Giovanni, an ashemed Windows user (until now...)

2. nippyjun macrumors 65816

You can use google calendar and a 3rd party sync program like plaxo to keep your calendars synced up.