Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Ok I've had enough of Swype. Not sure if it's specific to Swype or iOS but the keyboard just doesn't show up numerous times.

It doesn't appear in messages, spotlight, safari etc, or it's a blank square. You have to quit apps, open messages, see if it appears etc etc etc.

I'm really bored now of the amount of times it does it, it's frustrating. I've restarted iPhone, deleted all, reset app, enabled full access, disabled it, still same. I've emailed developers, just say enable full access (don't want to leave enabled all the time), delete, then reinstall app, restart phone etc.

Do other keyboard apps do this? Is it iOS fault? What other keyboard apps have swipe function, that you don't have to have full access left enabled.

Thanks

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Unfortunately, pretty much all third party keyboards suffer from this kind of thing in iOS 8.

As for other options, SwiftKey is a popular one, among some others.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I've only really tried Swype, think was one of the first, and workout full access required.

So all do this, so it's iOS fault then, surely Apple know about this then? I know you can submit daily reports, but also the keyboard developers must be telling Apple to.

So they all do this, it's so so frustrating add it's happens so many times, do they all suffer same amount? Any better than others?

gordon1234

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
I've only really tried Swype, think was one of the first, and workout full access required.

So all do this, so it's iOS fault then, surely Apple know about this then? I know you can submit daily reports, but also the keyboard developers must be telling Apple to.

So they all do this, it's so so frustrating add it's happens so many times, do they all suffer same amount? Any better than others?

No, they all pretty much have all the issues you described on a regular basis. Considering how far we've come without any real improvements to keyboards, I suspect the issues we're seeing are fundamental to how Apple has implemented third-party keyboards, and are probably not easily fixed without significant changes to the API. Hopefully iOS 9 makes some positive change in this direction (Beta 1 makes it worse, FYI)

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Oh no....well I've installed TouchPal to see if any better but doesn't sound like it will. Hope you developers are feeding back then! Especially if beta 1 makes it worse!

miknos

Suspended
Mar 14, 2008
All keyboards suffer from the same problem. What I do to solve it is to press on the text field incase the keyboard doesn't record the keys pressed.

As for Full Access, Swype it's the only one who works without it. Just enable it to download different languages and turn off Full Access after. It's on Swype manual.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Got TouchPal to try, this also doesn't need full access I'm finding. Swipe function is working. Also "fancy keyboard" I've just literally downloaded only needs it on for themes etc

miknos

Suspended
Mar 14, 2008
What I dislike about Swype is the themes. Just wish it had a theme just like the iOS keyboard in dark, more like the picture below:
nPYA7M1.jpg

Saw that TouchPal has Swype support and decent themes. Unfortunately it says that it needs Full Access to work with different languages.

gordon1234

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Remember, full access doesn't mean your data is going into the Cloud or even being stored by the developers at all. It just means the keyboard app on your phone and the keyboard process that can communicate. It's very difficult to implement a lot of functionality of two parts of the same program can't even talk to each other.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Agree but it also means that the developers can if want log. No reading to doubt them, but Apple has put an option on if not comfortable, TouchPal seems to work as I want without it on, so prefer to air on cautious side....

miknos

Suspended
Mar 14, 2008
I tried TouchPal and it has nice themes. Unfortunately gesture/swipe is not as precise and smooth as Swype. Themes and keyboard customization is great though. I couldn't make it work without Full Access when using german and french languages.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
When you say wouldn't work without full access for different languages, have you downloaded the language first and then switch it off?

Accuracy, in English anyway, seems fine for me so far.

miknos

Suspended
Mar 14, 2008
When you say wouldn't work without full access for different languages, have you downloaded the language first and then switch it off?

Accuracy, in English anyway, seems fine for me so far.

Accuracy is always better in English language, after all it's the "common tongue". And yes, when you disable Full Access, different languages doesn't work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.