Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will any of you Android converts being moving back to the iPhone 5S in the fall?

• Yes

Votes: 34 26.4%
  • No

Votes: 77 59.7%
  • Undecided(waiting on other hardware/want to see the new hardware first.)

Votes: 18 14.0%

• Total voters

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
If kitkat ends up going further towards Google Now and Google+ (I HATE BOTH) so that I can't use Android without being deeply integrated into these services then I would switch.

You're aware you can turn off Google Now, right? Or even select just the few cards you want "live".

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
One of my biggest knocks with the last four generations of iPhones isnt the smaller screen size, it is the comfort level. Ever since the 4, iPhones no longer are comfortable to hold for a long period of time with the edgy corners. The iPhone 5/5s isnt the most comfortable phone to hold for a "small phone" even one-handed with that elongated screen size. I have phones at 4.3-4.7 inch screens that can still feel more comfortable to hold because of the rounded corners/back and materials used on the back for better grip.

And getting a case eliminates the beautiful design. Fans are having a tough dilemma picking the right color for it only to cover up the phone with an awful case and babysit it for the next owner. And iPhone 5s will likely be sold for 3 years subsidized and with a ton of discounts months later. What is the rush unless you plan to sell the phone right away. The S-update twin cheapens the prev gen and it will be around for a few years in carrier stores anyway.

I find it odd how more people don't gripe about the flat back and edges of the iPhone 4 and beyond. If you plan on going without a case I personally find these flat backed phones to be terrible in the hand for phone calls, etc. A rounded back makes all the difference.

I personally use a case because I will inevitably drop my phone at some point and I need it protected. I'll probably keep using cases until the day where a shatterproof screens becomes reality. I also prefer having a nice grip on my phone, which cases provide and almost no phones by default do.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
If the next iPhone had a 4.7 inch or larger screen, absolutely. I never thought it was a big deal before but since switching to Android screen size is now a deal breaker for me. I could just never go back to that tiny screen, I don't know how I lived with it before.

The new iPhone doesn't do anything about maximizing screen space for apps like Safari (how can it with that same size screen) so until they have a larger screen iPhone I wont be getting one

bmt134

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
iPhone 5/5s failed to sway me over. Due for an upgrade next fall. Let's see what the 6 brings. If the 6 doesn't have a minimum of a 5" screen, then count me out.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
You're aware you can turn off Google Now, right? Or even select just the few cards you want "live".

Yes of course. That's how I have things set up now and I'm perfectly happy with it. But for example I can't post reviews on apps in the google play store without a Google+ account and if things keep moving in that direction for core android functions I'd have to leave.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Yes of course. That's how I have things set up now and I'm perfectly happy with it. But for example I can't post reviews on apps in the google play store without a Google+ account and if things keep moving in that direction for core android functions I'd have to leave.

I agree about Google+, but I just don't use it. What are they forcing you to use on it? Google play uses your Gmail

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
What do you guys think will happen when the iPhone 6 comes out next year?

Will the 2014 5C replace the 5S -- basically same casing but with the internals of the current 5S and probably plus fingerprint scanner? ? Therefore, will the 5S "disappear" like the 5 disappeared this year?

Will the 4S completely be gone? Or will the 5S replace it, but then that wouldn't make sense with the 5C 2014 version? And what's to become of the current 5C?

How will it all shift?

Many curiosities.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010

Will the 2014 5C replace the 5S -- basically same casing but with the internals of the current 5S and probably plus fingerprint scanner? ? Therefore, will the 5S "disappear" like the 5 disappeared this year?

Will the 4S completely be gone? Or will the 5S replace it, but then that wouldn't make sense with the 5C 2014 version? And what's to become of the current 5C?

How will it all shift?

Many curiosities.

My gues is the 5C will be the free on contract phone and finally become the cheaper prepaid option people were clamping for this year, the 5S becomes the $99 on contract phone, and the 6 becomes the new flagship.

PerfectDB

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2012
Boston, Lincolnshire

How will it all shift?

Many curiosities.

Would make sense, but it's interesting what the naming convention will be next year. Will it be the 'new' 5C, the 5CS, the 5SC, or maybe something else entirely?

And I wonder if Apple will go with iPhone 6 next time around? Maybe the 6 will stand for 6" display? :p

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX

How will it all shift?

Many curiosities.

Hmm this is a great question....I've been wondering it myself.

My initial thought was 5C and 5S (though not with those names), no older models this year, then add a larger model next year with small updates to the 5C and 5S.

Could still go that route, though I feel like they'll need to kick the naming conventions. I'm still of the mind that 3 annually updated options would be ideal, even though the 5C option didn't turn out to be cheap.

At this point I think the 6 comes in with new internals and a larger screen, the 5S and 5C get reduced in price and the 4S goes away.

It will be what happens in 2015 that will then be interesting - do they go back to selling older models cheaper? Do they move to updating each line (cheaper, regular, larger) annually? I, for one, hope for the latter.

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
Much the same way it took time for me to eventually leave the iPhone and Allow Android to mature (Ice Cream Sandwich), will be the same process but in reverse that will possibly get me back on an iPhone.

I just don't see Apple changing significantly in the next 1 or 2, thus, I won't be back on the iPhone anytime soon.

Cheers!!!

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle
I'm skipping this iteration of the iPhone. Its the first time since 2007 that i won't have the newest iPhone.

It's just not that impressive to me, Sure there is the whole 64 Bit debate but what good is that on a device that has less than 4GB of ram? When the iPhone gets a bigger screen, NFC , Higher resolution display then i will come back. But for now the iPhone 5 is looking like it will be my last iPhone for now.

Say what you want about samsung but at least they are willing to take chances.

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
Moved over to the 5S. It hasn't bored me yet that i'm clamoring for a jailbreak or better camera.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I'm skipping this iteration of the iPhone. Its the first time since 2007 that i won't have the newest iPhone.

It's just not that impressive to me, Sure there is the whole 64 Bit debate but what good is that on a device that has less than 4GB of ram? When the iPhone gets a bigger screen, NFC , Higher resolution display then i will come back. But for now the iPhone 5 is looking like it will be my last iPhone for now.

Say what you want about samsung but at least they are willing to take chances.

I get the larger screen (which by default will bring a "higher res" - though the 5S still has one of the best screens on the market), but why NFC? I'm still at a loss as to what MASSIVE features or improvements NFC offers?

Passbook offers easy GC and loyalty card features.

Airdrop offers easy p2p sharing when in close proximity to another person - photo streams when that person is far away (or you could use Dropbox).

iBeacons using BLE are MUCH more robust in their utilities and far more efficient when it comes to location based information and activities. Granted this is new and hasn't been used to its full potential - but why go backwards with NFC?

As for payments and the whole "wallet" thing - why is pulling your phone out, entering a password and then scanning a barcode easier than pulling out your wallet and swiping your card? Don't you have to carry ID? Cash sometimes? Your wallet is still there.....(at least mine was when I had my N4).

I'm all for a TRUE wallet replacement. But NFC in its current stage doesn't really cut it. IF Apple ever implements NFC into a product, it should be in the iWatch. That way, working in conjunction with the iPhone in your pocket, it would offer a two-factor authentication by utilizing biometric data as a security measure and you would simply flash your wrist to pay. So no pulling out a phone or wallet, more secure and convenient.

I am very interested in any other NFC applications that would cause the iPhone to be better with this technology implemented.....at this point I just don't see it.

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle
I get the larger screen (which by default will bring a "higher res" - though the 5S still has one of the best screens on the market), but why NFC? I'm still at a loss as to what MASSIVE features or improvements NFC offers?

Airdrop offers easy p2p sharing when in close proximity to another person - photo streams when that person is far away (or you could use Dropbox).

iBeacons using BLE are MUCH more robust in their utilities and far more efficient when it comes to location based information and activities. Granted this is new and hasn't been used to its full potential - but why go backwards with NFC?

As for payments and the whole "wallet" thing - why is pulling your phone out, entering a password and then scanning a barcode easier than pulling out your wallet and swiping your card? Don't you have to carry ID? Cash sometimes? Your wallet is still there.....(at least mine was when I had my N4).

I'm all for a TRUE wallet replacement. But NFC in its current stage doesn't really cut it. IF Apple ever implements NFC into a product, it should be in the iWatch. That way, working in conjunction with the iPhone in your pocket, it would offer a two-factor authentication by utilizing biometric data as a security measure and you would simply flash your wrist to pay. So no pulling out a phone or wallet, more secure and convenient.

I am very interested in any other NFC applications that would cause the iPhone to be better with this technology implemented.....at this point I just don't see it.

I don't see iBeacons rolling out to the masses and having a large scale adoption the way NFC does at this point. When i go to 7-11, Whole foods, Jack in the box etc its easier for me to pay for things with my phone. When i take the bus i use an app on that to pay for the ticket and they are going to be supporting "Tap and Pay" soon.

The vending machines i use when i need to get a drink on the go also support NFC. So unless im out in the middle of no where then i don't have need for cash.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I don't see iBeacons rolling out to the masses and having a large scale adoption the way NFC does at this point. When i go to 7-11, Whole foods, Jack in the box etc its easier for me to pay for things with my phone. When i take the bus i use an app on that to pay for the ticket and they are going to be supporting "Tap and Pay" soon.

The vending machines i use when i need to get a drink on the go also support NFC. So unless im out in the middle of no where then i don't have need for cash.

So, I suppose if you already have your phone in your hand its great. I'm glad that in your area, NFC is so widespread. But you still have a wallet, am I right? Regardless of cash (which I generally don't carry either), I still have my wallet for - at the very least - ID and other cards. So what makes it so much easier to pull my phone out of my pocket and go into the wallet app (or whatever app) versus pulling out my wallet and debit or credit card?

Like I said - all for a wallet replacement. I just don't see NFC (in its current implementation) as a complete product. The example I mentioned - using NFC in the iWatch - makes more sense to me and would provide a much more convenient and secure way to pay for things.

Then if I could simply store my Driver's License on my phone I'd be set! The iBeacons reference was for other uses (aside from payments) that NFC has. And despite what people on here say, NFC isn't WIDESPREAD. I live in McKinney - I don't see NFC everywhere....perhaps I'm not looking.

EDIT: I think Wallet works on AT&T GS4 now....in the interest of being fair, I'm going to try it again with my GS4. Gonna try to lookout for NFC or tap-and-pay at places I frequent and see how it works and if I can get into the habit of using my phone for payments.

Oops I'm wrong - no support on AT&T.....oh well. I find that idiotic......

Last edited:

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle
So, I suppose if you already have your phone in your hand its great. I'm glad that in your area, NFC is so widespread. But you still have a wallet, am I right? Regardless of cash (which I generally don't carry either), I still have my wallet for - at the very least - ID and other cards. So what makes it so much easier to pull my phone out of my pocket and go into the wallet app (or whatever app) versus pulling out my wallet and debit or credit card?

Like I said - all for a wallet replacement. I just don't see NFC (in its current implementation) as a complete product. The example I mentioned - using NFC in the iWatch - makes more sense to me and would provide a much more convenient and secure way to pay for things.

Then if I could simply store my Driver's License on my phone I'd be set! The iBeacons reference was for other uses (aside from payments) that NFC has. And despite what people on here say, NFC isn't WIDESPREAD. I live in McKinney - I don't see NFC everywhere....perhaps I'm not looking.

EDIT: I think Wallet works on AT&T GS4 now....in the interest of being fair, I'm going to try it again with my GS4. Gonna try to lookout for NFC or tap-and-pay at places I frequent and see how it works and if I can get into the habit of using my phone for payments.

Oops I'm wrong - no support on AT&T.....oh well. I find that idiotic......

Typically when i walk into a store i have my phone in my hand already. Although when i go to buy liquor i have to keep it old school and use plastic to pay for that.

I know AT&T, T-Mobile (Who i have for my provider) and Verizon are pushing ISIS which is which why google wallet will not work. But if you root your phone then google wallet should work

tensiondeadache

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Southern California
Just got my iPhone 5C today. Had planned on selling my GS4, but not so sure now. Not that I'm disappointed with the the 5C, but since I have both unlocked I may just use one at work (I find myself pulling out the GS4 just to mess with it much more than the iPhone) and the other for everything else. I get the feeling that Apple knows it needs to bump up to a 4.3 screen but doesn't want to look like they "broke" to the pressure.

Control center, Air Play (not new), the heavier plastic/steel frame, and having that integration with my other Apple stuff is definitely nice. The question is will I use Siri. I use Google voice actions constantly, all day, but Siri always had that restricted feel to it. Now it scans twitter which is pretty cool.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida

For me its more of a why not have NFC than why have NFC. Tasker on android is good enough to merit NFC inclusion IMO.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
For me its more of a why not have NFC than why have NFC. Tasker on android is good enough to merit NFC inclusion IMO.

I guess I just feel there's a better way to implement it than current routes.

Don't mistake my questioning for saying I wouldn't want NFC added - it'd be a "meh" for me but I certainly wouldn't be upset about it. Just wonder why its such a big deal to people outside of those who happen to live in areas where mobile payments are plentiful (my area isn't one of them).

bmt134

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
One tap in the car allows me to turn on Bluetooth, turn on GPS, turn off WiFi, connect to my Bluetooth stereo system, launches my music player, turn on auto rotate and adjust my brightness settings. Another tap reverses all those settings. I use NFC everyday.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
One tap in the car allows me to turn on Bluetooth, turn on GPS, turn off WiFi, connect to my Bluetooth stereo system, launches my music player, turn on auto rotate and adjust my brightness settings. Another tap reverses all those settings. I use NFC everyday.

Yea, it's stuff like this that is fun to play with. It would take a great deal of the Apple effect to simple it down though, I assume you're using tasker - there is a bit of a learning curve there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.