Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chriscrowlee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego, CA
Anyone been able to find an Android Emulator that actually works in Big Sur? Bluestacks has been deflecting in their developer forums for months saying they're working hard on a compatible version, yet absolutely nothing has come forward from them. Even their latest Beta build does not function in 11.0+

Have been running 11.0 (now 11.0.1) on production computer now for a while and this beta version history has been the most stable of any OS beta lead-up to release I've ever seen from Apple.

The only thing I miss is my Bluestacks emulator. I have a couple Android apps I run, and would be nice to have them back.

chriscrowlee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego, CA
I dunno what it is that's causing Bluestacks to take so long to update their Mac version. I even tried installing VMware to use windws to install bluestacks and even that is unreliable.

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
Yuck Bluestacks. Such a spyware that randomly installs sponsored apps on the VM. Went to genymotion and never looked back. Blows BS out of the water in speed too.

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
AFAIK there are no Android Emulator that is working on Big Sur at the moment. I was trying to install Big Sur and notice the Kext warning. Looked it up and turns up not supported.

And yet no one notice on MR. Even the Not Working Apps thread does not list any Android Emulator. ( I have just added it to the list )

Pahanda

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2015
Damn, seems like I updated too soon then. None of the emulators are working, such a pain.

ethanj7107

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2020
Anyone been able to find an Android Emulator that actually works in Big Sur? Bluestacks has been deflecting in their developer forums for months saying they're working hard on a compatible version, yet absolutely nothing has come forward from them. Even their latest Beta build does not function in 11.0+

Have been running 11.0 (now 11.0.1) on production computer now for a while and this beta version history has been the most stable of any OS beta lead-up to release I've ever seen from Apple.

The only thing I miss is my Bluestacks emulator. I have a couple Android apps I run, and would be nice to have them back.
Have you tried the android emulator NOX yet?

Wrongdirection

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2020

Welp, I just looked yesterday and found Bluestacks has finally updated. Tried it, seems to work for my purposes so far.

chriscrowlee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego, CA
I ended up buying an M1 and and that solved all my issues... all of the apps I wanted to run through EMU now run native on the screen, so all uses I previously had for Android Emulation no longer exist. LOL

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.